Westridge Road murder investigation launched

A body was found in a flat on Westridge Road today

UPDATE: Police have arrested two men on suspicion of murder, following an investigation launched yesterday after a body was found in a Westridge Road flat.

A 26 year old and 35 year old man, both from Southampton were arrested. Both are currently in police custody.

A post-mortem is taking place today to determine the cause of death.

Police have been conducting door-to-door enquiries in nearby areas this afternoon calling for witnesses. They are asking for anything residents may have seen or heard between 2 and 4pm on Friday afternoon.

Anyone with information should contact Police on 101 quoting Operation Windless or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Police have this evening launched a murder investigation after a man’s body was found in a flat on Westridge Road.

Officers were called to the flat just after 4.15pm earlier today.

Detective Chief Inspector Nick Heelan said: “We are in the early stages of an investigation into a man’s death which is being treated as suspicious.

“We understand there may have been a dispute at the address in Westridge Road earlier today (Friday, April 29).

“I am appealing for anyone who may have witnessed or heard this dispute to contact us. We are also keen to speak to anyone who may be able to provide us with any information which could help us establish the circumstances of the man’s death.”

Police say they are unable to confirm the man’s identity at this time, and will not be releasing any further information.

The road, which has a large number of student residents, was found last year by the Home Office to be the 39th biggest crime spot in the country.