Review: LOpSoc's Sweeney Todd

four-stars-220x45

Sweeney Todd – Stephen Sondheim’s musical based on the demon barber of Fleet Street, was performed brilliantly by LOpSoc last week!

sweeney todd lopsoc

The band and the ensemble sounded amazing, much credit to Thomas Joy – the Musical Director.  Sondheim is not easy, therefore the hours of work put into getting it right was clear.

The cast and band

The cast and band

Even though I was very impressed by the ensemble, I was somewhat confused by their attire – being dressed in surgery outfits didn’t really work when the principals’ costumes were very well thought out.

Jon North as Sweeney himself gave a solid performance however, he was somewhat overshadowed by the brilliant Cerys Beesley as Mrs Lovett. Cerys really made the part her own, taking an extremely fresh approach to the role, bravo. Josh Cox (Beadle Bamford), Tab Kimpton (Judge Turpin) and Joseph Hand (Toby) all gave strong performances. Jeremy Hunt and Vikie Miller’s (Anthony and Johanna) chemistry on stage really was very engaging; they are both very strong actors. However, I was completely blown away by Rhiannon Creffield as the Beggar Woman. She gave the stand out performance from a very strong bunch.

Credit must also be paid to StageSoc who created a perfect set for the show. The lighting and special effects were extremely professional – a great final show for them to finish on for this academic year. What a great year for LOpSoc!

The cast in a previous performance of Pirates of Penzance

Check out our WHATSOC on LOpSoc here.

• Mike

This is the first I’ve heard of it. It could have been advertised better.

• Emma

We always do our best to advertise as much as we can, but unfortunately it doesn’t always work! What would you say would be the best way to catch your attention around campus? We did have some posters about, but maybe not in the best areas.

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

Rebrand: The Logo, the Process and the Reputational Risks

The response to students’ concerns about the rebrand has been patronizing and undemocratic

, Soton Social Editor of The Tab

Clubbing at home is awful now I’ve experienced uni clubbing

Why should I pay £7.10 for a vodka cranberry

, Soton Varsity Editor of The Tab

‘Macfest’ car crash victim was TWO TIMES over the drunk driving limit

£18,000 has been raised in his memory along with a planned music festival

, Assistant Editor

Putlocker has been blocked by internet service providers

Goodbye, old friend

Your gym leggings might be causing you health problems

At least they make you look cool

, Exeter Editor of The Tab

Can you guess whether these people are pro-Brexit?

See if they’re innies or outies based on their outfit

Can you guess the price of these Waitrose ‘Essentials’?

You paid how much for Ardennes Pâté?

, Argument Editor

Forget London, I’m moving to Bath

It’s better in every single way