Review: LOpSoc's Sweeney Todd

By on

Sweeney Todd – Stephen Sondheim’s musical based on the demon barber of Fleet Street, was performed brilliantly by LOpSoc last week!

sweeney todd lopsoc

The band and the ensemble sounded amazing, much credit to Thomas Joy – the Musical Director.  Sondheim is not easy, therefore the hours of work put into getting it right was clear.

The cast and band

The cast and band

Even though I was very impressed by the ensemble, I was somewhat confused by their attire – being dressed in surgery outfits didn’t really work when the principals’ costumes were very well thought out.

Jon North as Sweeney himself gave a solid performance however, he was somewhat overshadowed by the brilliant Cerys Beesley as Mrs Lovett. Cerys really made the part her own, taking an extremely fresh approach to the role, bravo. Josh Cox (Beadle Bamford), Tab Kimpton (Judge Turpin) and Joseph Hand (Toby) all gave strong performances. Jeremy Hunt and Vikie Miller’s (Anthony and Johanna) chemistry on stage really was very engaging; they are both very strong actors. However, I was completely blown away by Rhiannon Creffield as the Beggar Woman. She gave the stand out performance from a very strong bunch.

Credit must also be paid to StageSoc who created a perfect set for the show. The lighting and special effects were extremely professional – a great final show for them to finish on for this academic year. What a great year for LOpSoc!

The cast in a previous performance of Pirates of Penzance

Check out our WHATSOC on LOpSoc here.

• Mike

This is the first I’ve heard of it. It could have been advertised better.

• Emma

We always do our best to advertise as much as we can, but unfortunately it doesn’t always work! What would you say would be the best way to catch your attention around campus? We did have some posters about, but maybe not in the best areas.

Heard something newsworthy?

By on

‘Millions’ of student loans changed by Autumn Budget

The amount of money students will have to pay back is set to rise.

By on

Why the THTH penis guy is a hero

You do you, penis guy

By on

What do medicine students think of the proposed NHS changes?

Almost all of them want to leave the country.

By , Chief Reporter on

The one that got away: An interview with Caggie Dunlop

She doesn’t even watch Made in Chelsea any more

By , Head of Marketing on

Revealed: Nottingham’s Andy Hoe is the best promoter in the UK

He got almost half of the overall vote

By , Deputy Editor on

I wore an ‘I love consent’ t-shirt on a night out

Consent is sexy

By on

Loughborough The struggles of being a tall girl

Groups shots are a nightmare

By on

London Where should you live in North London?

We tried to contact South London but the expeditionary team never returned

By , Contributing Editor on

How much noise should boys make in bed?

Say your own name over and over again, obviously