Writing The Perfect Elections Manifesto

What could be more nail-gnawing-inducingly exciting than the upcoming popularity circus that is the SUSU elections? The next few weeks will see (questionable) student democracy being excercised in its purest, rawest form.

As part of the application to a Sabb position, marketed as one of the greatest grad jobs out there (LOL), candidates are required to fill out the following form detailing their manifesto pledges, helping an apathetic electorate to make what is certainly the most critical decision of their student – or even entire – lives.

In true Tab fashion, we like to cut the corners and get straight to the nitty gritty and we’ve produced some tips for potential candidates to maximise their success by including in their manifestos some fail-safe vote-winning pledge points. Original ideas are discouraged because they could upset the status quo and any deviation from the left-of-centre SU policies.

Some of last year's candidates

This could be you…

I, [INSERT NAME HERE] hereby solemnly swear to implement the following policies should I be elected into office:

– Restore Friday nights at The Cube to their former greatness, even if it means paying people to be there.

– Encourage greater student participation with the aim of a 10% turnout at all elections and referenda. I want to give YOU a moderate and politically correct voice so we can work together for a stronger Union and tell you exactly the right way to think whilst discouraging any opposing ideas, no matter how sensible or logical they may be.

– Peacefully oppose any suggestions of further raising university fees and ensure that the Bursar’s axe doesn’t come down on any other crucial subjects. RIP, Sports Studies.

– Work closely with the AU so Southampton continues to be a major player at the national level. A third of our budget will be spent on all important “banter” lessons to help us move up the rankings.

– Simplify the Union by introducing more bureaucracy so all students are represented fairly at every level.

– Increase the existing equality quotas for each available position. Having a white, middle class man as a Student Leader is not representative. Therefore each position must feature 40 people doing exactly the same role and treading all over each other’s toes, all from varying backgrounds of gender, race, disability, religion, wealth and height.

– Make subtle jibes at inferior rivals Solent and Portsmouth as frequently as possible.

– Increase the budget for Sabb business cards and to include the slogan “I’m kind of a big deal” on the back of Sabb stash.

– Radicalise the successful food and drink trial in Hartley library by turning the whole building into a coffee shop/gastro pub. Highfield Campus is clearly a café desert, and increasing our caffeine intake is a real priority.

[CHOOSE ONE]

– Continue to pretend that Winchester Campus is just on the other side of Burgess Road.

Or

– Continue to pretend that Winchester Campus doesn’t exist.

Bonus points are available for any candidate manifesto written in Comic Sans font, size 16. Results will be determined by the amount of Facebook friends each candidate has, how frequently they appear in Jesters/Sobar and how attractive their campaign picture is.

Voting begins on 24th February. Remember, this is YOUR choice and YOUR future.

• Mathematician

10% ey? So a manifesto that promises to go backwards? Nice one.

• Oli

RIP Sports Studies indeed!

• Unknown candidate

Step 1) Naked Wednesday and Suit up Friday
    Step 2) Monorail and cat statue
    Step 3) Win

• Apathetic Candidate

A vote for me is a vote for apathy

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

Rebrand: The Logo, the Process and the Reputational Risks

The response to students’ concerns about the rebrand has been patronizing and undemocratic

, Soton Social Editor of The Tab

Clubbing at home is awful now I’ve experienced uni clubbing

Why should I pay £7.10 for a vodka cranberry

, Soton Varsity Editor of The Tab

‘Macfest’ car crash victim was TWO TIMES over the drunk driving limit

£18,000 has been raised in his memory along with a planned music festival

, Assistant Editor

Putlocker has been blocked by internet service providers

Goodbye, old friend

Your gym leggings might be causing you health problems

At least they make you look cool

, Exeter Editor of The Tab

Can you guess whether these people are pro-Brexit?

See if they’re innies or outies based on their outfit

Can you guess the price of these Waitrose ‘Essentials’?

You paid how much for Ardennes Pâté?

, Argument Editor

Forget London, I’m moving to Bath

It’s better in every single way