Review: Maddisons Nail & Beauty Salon

Beauty salons are not exactly a typical place to find students. Offering the little luxuries in life, most of us wouldn’t be up for spending our much needed booze money […]

four stars

Beauty salons are not exactly a typical place to find students. Offering the little luxuries in life, most of us wouldn’t be up for spending our much needed booze money and essay time on getting our nails done or having a massage.

However, the Maddisons beauty salon in Portswood gives us the chance to enjoy these luxuries at reasonable prices so you can get your nails done for that upcoming Christmas Ball or a massage after a hard week of lectures, even a beauty package for a your housemates birthday.

Who would have known that nestled next to Sprinkles on Portswood high street you could find a little spot of relaxation?  The boutique salon has already proved popular with students and locals looking for an upmarket but reasonably priced salon, Maddisons has a modern appearance, relaxing atmosphere and professional staff.

Maddisons uses no electric drills during their manicures and pedicures

After being escorted to one of their two treatment rooms, you wouldn’t know you were on Portswood Highstreet, with the calming music, relaxing oils and atmospheric lighting the back, neck and shoulder massage (£25) was an excellent end to a manic week.

The Shellac pedicure was a little touch of luxury, and priced at only £20, it was much more reasonable than others salons in the area. Shellac has proved popular in salons as it is guaranteed to last 14 days (although previous ones I’ve had have lasted for months), and with a range of colours to choose from, I thought it was a great deal!

Afterwards, we were offered to chill out in the relaxation lounge area with magazines and a drink before heading back to our work filled, permanently hungover student universes. All in all, a great way to spend some time with friends and to chill out at reasonable prices. The salon itself is professional, clean and has a great atmosphere, with therapists that know how to approach you in a comfortable manner.

Fancy a pedicure?

There are a wide range of treatments available including massages, facials, semi-permanent eyelashes, waxing, threading, exfoliation, spray tanning, Shellac application, gel and acrylic nails, manicures and pedicures, all with a 15% student discount.

Managers Laura and Katie also told us that they will be running promotions at Christmas and before big events like Graduation, also with ‘beauty evenings’ for groups of friends to attend before big nights out.

For more information and promotional offers, visit Maddisons’ Facebook page, follow them on Twitter, pop into the salon or call them on 02380 558766.