Southampton to LEAVE Russell Group

By on

SOUTHAMPTON University has announced that it will leave the Russell Group in favour of a recently-formed partnership with Greenwich, Reading, Aberystwyth, Newcastle and Trent Universities.

The new alliance of this ‘GRANTS’ group has been created for the purposes of country-wide unity and a desire to enhance both ongoing research and the student learning experience.

As part of the development, students from the six Universities will receive unprecedented access to each member’s facilities, and opportunities will be created for students wishing to further their research skills to spend a sabbatical year at a different establishment.

A particular area of focus for GRANTS academics will be Astrology, and each University from the partnership will contribute to financing research into planetary motion, beginning with Uranus.

A spokesperson from Southampton commented:

This is a very exciting endeavour. The joining of these six diverse establishments is a unique and challenging venture, which will no doubt serve to benefit all parties involved. Southampton University prides itself on cutting-edge research and innovative thinking and as part of the GRANTs group; we aim to continue to change the world for future generations of creative, perceptive and inspired thinkers’.

The official launch of the partnership is due to take place later this month, until which time further details of the scheme remain Strictly Confidential.  More on this story as it unfolds.

Let us know what you think about the change in the comments below. 

• Name

astrology? surely you mean astronomy…

• Oliver

Do you mean Astronomy? It would be terrible to learn that these universities are getting together to learn more about horoscopes

• Oliver

…and I just realised what date it is. Well played

• Luke

One of the reasons I chose Southampton was for its Russell group status, how comes there wasn’t a referendum like the decision to join NUS a few months back

• Chloe

Just for clarity, I don’t think the University has to do a referendum on anything as, in contrast to SUSU, it isn’t run “by students”. The University can really do what it likes, whereas the Union is accountable to students and so must involve them in its decision making.

• Snape

astrology? next on the curriculum will be herbology, potions and defence against the dark arts – welcome to hogwarts

• Hermione

Well that’d be fully worth the nine thousand galleons a year!

• Name

This is bullshit. Should have been a referendum as there was for the NUS

• Ella Rose Dove

No, the press release definitely said Astrology (and yes, I do know that’s different to Astronomy!)

• b1gm3

I’m pretty sure you mean Astronomy, because if Southampton has left the Russel Group to study star signs I’m getting the hell out of here.

• Anonymous

You are all idiots. April 1st anyone? No? Dust?

• Josh Rowland

This makes our degrees even more of a fuc***g joke!

• Tri

1st April, nuff said, get over it ppl

• Not an idiot

Blatant April fools.

• Just saying

There’s a lot of people not recognising the date of this article…

• Iwan

Well played, Soton Tab. Well played.

• Tom

some people are morons

• WhinyGit

Welcome to the Internet

• cjeam

Welcome to Earth

• Dharmz

Guys this must be and April fools why would we join a group that is an acronym of the university names? G.R.A.N.T.S? If not the university is in dire straits here… Getting into bed with mainly ex-polytechnics is not a wise business deal in this climate…

• reading

Reading is not a poly idiot. Its a much better uni that SOTON!!

• Mark Jeffs

‘that SOTON!!’

Enough said really.

• April Fooled

you had me there…

• Rory

Well played… nearly had us there

• Alan

Aren’t April Fools gags mean’t to have some pretence of a sense of humour?

• anon

thank god, the russel group was over rated anyway! so mainstream!

• Adam

• Elizabeth Coates

Hahahaha nice one!

• reading

SOTON would be lucky to join with Reading. A much better Uni that Southampton for MOST subjects..

• writing

i am argree you why donot the SOTON tabs SHUT UP about reading university (NOT POLLY).

• Barry

I compleetly agree, i wnt 2 reading nd cme here 2 do my masters. I dnt fink its fair dat soton tab pick on reading cuz its gud uni. i wnt ther and i no im inteligent so stop it.

• Mark Jeffs

reading is not a uni studpid, its waht yhoo do with bhooks

• Orange Leader

This is bullshit!

• Nige

April 1st suggest anything to anyone …..especially needing to start with “Uranus”. Hey ho it’s the spaghetti trees all over again

• Christopher Gutteridge

Oh, you bastards. I actually felt my stomach churn until I saw the date on the article. Nicely played, and I like the way the story gets more silly as you go on so that it’s obviously a joke by the end. I’m just shocked some of our students can’t spot a troll this blatent.

• nigel millington

Pleased to see Reading working to improve opportunities for students. A Reading alumnus in 1971 ( microbiologist), I ”ve seen that it is still strong on biological sciences and has strong links and research with the food industry. It would be good if the grant Unies could capitalise on this.

Heard something newsworthy?

By on

Why the THTH penis guy is a hero

You do you, penis guy

By on

What do medicine students think of the proposed NHS changes?

Almost all of them want to leave the country.

By and on

Review: Coffee #1

Portswood’s latest opening is one of its best.

By , Chief Reporter on

The one that got away: An interview with Caggie Dunlop

She doesn’t even watch Made in Chelsea any more

By , Deputy Editor on

I wore an ‘I love consent’ t-shirt on a night out

Consent is sexy

By on

Loughborough The struggles of being a tall girl

Groups shots are a nightmare

By on

London Where should you live in North London?

We tried to contact South London but the expeditionary team never returned

By , Contributing Editor on

How much noise should boys make in bed?

Say your own name over and over again, obviously

By , Contributing Editor on

When did Instagram become an excuse to look at soft porn

Answer: as soon as you downloaded it