New Date Rape Prevention Straws To Hit Shops

New date rape prevention straws are to hit the commercial market next year in hope to hinder sexual assaults on nights out.

Straws developed by Israeli scientist Michael Loffe and Professor Fernando Patolsky are an attempt to help prevent drink spikes on nights out. Reuseable, the straws can be used again and again, until they change colour when in contact with Ketamine or GHB – the two most common date rape drugs.

The straws are non-functional aside from their drug detecting abilities, and could become commonplace on nights out in the near future. However, some question whether the colour change will be effective enough in a dark, crowded nightclub.

An American business is also working on a similar range of products, including cups which change colour when date rape chemicals are detected. Mike Abramsom, its founder explained:

DrinkSavvy products do not require the end user to test and re-test their drink throughout the night, because the same plastic cup, glass, or stirrer that the user is drinking with is also the indicator itself. This provides continuous monitoring of the beverage because the indicators on our products are constantly in contact with the beverage.

However, DrinkSavvy also advises that “any type of preventative measure is not an excuse to be careless.” Never leave your drink unattended or accept drinks from people you don’t know, and remember your awareness is significantly reduced by alcohol.

Prices for the products have not yet been announced.

Will students remember or be bothered to carry around these products when going to clubs or on a bar crawl? With Freshers Week about to begin, and thousands returning to Southampton, the straws could potentially reduce an all-too-common risk many students face on a night out.

• DrinkSavvy

Thank you for this article. You make a great point about whether or not students will remember to bring our straws with them. We at DrinkSavvy hope to have “invented the new normal”, whereby, eventually, students do not have to remember to bring their own DrinkSavvy cups, straws, etc., but the drinking establishments will make their use standard for everyone’s benefit. DrinkSavvy can only succeed with support from people like you. To show your support for our cause to prevent drug aided rape, like us on Facebook (www.Facebook.com/SavvyTechnology) and visit our website (www.DrinkSavvyInc.com). Thanks and spread the word!

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

Rebrand: The Logo, the Process and the Reputational Risks

The response to students’ concerns about the rebrand has been patronizing and undemocratic

, Soton Social Editor of The Tab

Clubbing at home is awful now I’ve experienced uni clubbing

Why should I pay £7.10 for a vodka cranberry

, Soton Varsity Editor of The Tab

‘Macfest’ car crash victim was TWO TIMES over the drunk driving limit

£18,000 has been raised in his memory along with a planned music festival

, Assistant Editor

Music festivals on terror alert

Nightclubs and festivals are both at risk of Isis suicide attacks

, Features Editor

Everything Mizz magazine taught us about life in our twenties

Mum thought Sugar and Bliss were too sexy

Review: The best supermarket gin and tonic tins

Because there’s more to life than Gordon’s

and

NUS disaffiliation: The story so far

Three SUs have voted to disaffiliate and three have to remain

The best cheap supermarket prosecco, according to a wine expert

‘This one tastes like it’s been left in the fridge for a week’

, TabTv producer, The Tab Trent

How to be single

There’s an art to it