Hobbit UNDER SIEGE from Tolkien's Orc Lawyers

Where's my axe?

The Tab has learnt today that our favourite Lord of the Rings themed pub The Hobbit has been threatened with copyright violations over its use of material from the successful trilogy and faces legal action.

The Hobbit’s management were contacted by representatives of the film makers yesterday and told that EVERYTHING in the bar is a copyright infringement. This includes the name of the pub, the titles of the drinks and even the artwork on the walls. After 20 years of business this is the first time that someone has decided to take legal action against the popular Southampton watering hole.

The case has been handed over to lawyers and legal fees are expected to run into the thousands. With many pubs and clubs in Southampton, including the Talking Heads, being threatened by the recession it’s a real shame that The Hobbit faces troubles caused by such a petty issue.

Aragon to become an Arthur?

If a rebranding is enforced, ideas are already surfacing, including changing the name to Camelot and running a Round Table challenge in place of the Fellowship. More details to follow when we know more.

• Elizabeth Coates

Twenty years after opening? Eight years before the first film?

Who is stealing now?

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

, Soton News Editor of The Tab

How to fake having your life together during exam season

Make sure you Snapchat yourself in the library

, Soton Co-Editor of The Tab

Southampton leads campaign for sanitary bins to be put in men’s toilets

SUSU has led the national campaign to improve the “negative experiences” of transgender students

, Soton Co-Editor of The Tab

Westridge Road murder investigation launched

A body was found in a flat on Westridge Road today

Test how appalling your knowledge of British geography is

Who really knows their Runcorn from their Rutland?

Oxford Ntokozo Qwabe is a discredit to the Rhodes Must Fall movement

Making a waitress cry is not ‘something black and wonderful’

, Chief Reporter

There’s a petition for the Rhodes Must Fall leader to have his scholarship revoked

It already has more than 27,000 signatures

, National Editor

‘I tore up the rose she’d sent’: The secret stories from your most awkward break-ups

Confessions of relationships that went wrong

How much money do you owe your parents right now?

We asked people how in debt they are to the ‘Bank of Mum and Dad’