Hallam Towers owner tells people not to enter site after student death

They have said the building is internally ‘extremely dangerous’

The owner of Hallam Towers has now warned people to stay away from the derelict building after a 19-year-old man was found dead there last month.

The body of Thomas Rhodes, a geography student at the University of Sheffield, was found at the Broomhill site on Sunday 26th March.

A post-mortem examination found he died as a result of multiple injuries consistent with a fall.

The disused hotel, which closed in 2004, has become popular with urban explorers.

Despite efforts to secure the property, owners Blenheim Group has said there have been trespassers at the 11-storey building almost daily.

In a statement, the company said :“As the owners of Hallam Towers, we are deeply shocked and saddened by the recent tragedy of Thomas Rhodes’ death. As parents ourselves, our hearts go out to his family and friends at this sad time.

“Since buying Hallam Tower late in 2015, it has been an ongoing battle to secure the perimeters and the tower. No matter what measures we put in place daily, trespassers always seem to be determined to enter.

“We have been working closely with the council to ensure that our efforts meet their requirements. However, internally the building is extremely dangerous and should not be entered by anyone. We urge anyone who might still think this is a cool site to enter to consider the dangers they face.”

Sheffield Council has said it has spoken with the building’s owners to arrange them to re-secure the site.

Police are still investigating Thomas’ death and urge anyone with any information to call 101, quoting 713 of 26 March.