There is a petition calling on the council to put more lights in Sheffield parks

It was set up by a second-year student

A petition has been set up calling for more lights to be put in Sheffield parks.

It has been set up one week after a 21-year-old woman was sexually assaulted whilst walking through Weston Park at around 11pm last week.

The aim of the petition is to make Sheffield City Council install more lights in parks in order to make the parks feel safer.

Since the beginning of 2016 there has been an increase in the number of sexual assaults reported in the city.

Weston Park

It comes just one week after a 21-year-old was sexually assaulted in Weston Park

The creator of the petition, Clarry Simpson, said: “I created it because I want to feel safe and have other people feel safe. This is not a gendered thing, but I don’t see why, just because I’m a female, I can’t walk through certain areas of my city.”

Speaking to one female student, she said: “I think it’s massively important to make our parks better lit at night. Quite often, I cut through Weston Park on my walk home to Crookesmoor at night, and I feel very vulnerable in the pitch black.”

You can sign the petition here.