We asked you how you felt about the Weston Park assault

How safe do Sheffield students really feel?

Sheffield might be regarded as one of the safest cities in the country, however this does not mean that any advice on safety should be overlooked.

After a 21-year-old female was sexually assaulted in Weston Park on the 23rd January, we asked Sheffield students how they feel about the attack and whether they think more safety precautions should be put into place.

Summer, MA in Nutrition 

I haven’t felt unsafe at all in Sheffield – I’ve always felt safe so it kind of concerns you a little bit that you should stay on your toes and be aware. I think safety can be enhanced by making sure places are lit and also maybe giving the opportunity for the bus to do drop offs from the main libraries, especially during exam season.

The university do quite well at promoting safety, I feel like there is a good general awareness of staying together, especially with the freshers I see near to where I live, they’re always walking in groups.

Emma, second year, Dentistry  

I guess it is worrying that this has happened, it’s one of these things that you think won’t happen to you but obviously it does, and in this case it’s very close to home. Sheffield’s supposed to be one of the safest cities, so it’s scary to hear about incidents like this happening.

There needs to be more street lights around Weston Park and maybe more CCTV could be put in place. The university are good at safety awareness since they have things like the women’s safety bus, but I do think it’s unfair that guys can’t use it, especially if it’s a situation involving one guy who can’t get the bus with a group of girls he is with.

Alan, second year, English Literature 

I’m very shocked to hear about the attack, especially because it’s happened in a place so close to uni that so many students, including myself, walk through to get home.

I feel safe for the most part. If I am walking on main roads that are busy or well lit, I feel safe, but I prefer walking home with a mate or in groups.

I think schemes such as the women’s bus should become more widely known, I think a lot of people are aware of it but maybe not so much the times it is available or just generally how it works. I also think some areas could be made safer by adding more street lights, so if you do find yourself walking alone you don’t feel too unsafe. Societies too should always work together to make sure everyone is travelling back home safe from training.

Fangwen Li, MA in Logistic and Supply Chain Management

I was very shocked to hear about the attack, especially because it happened quite early where a lot of my housemates would have finished their training at Uni and would always walk back through Weston Park. I think we definitely need more lights in Weston Park, it’s so dark at night.

I think its difficult to say whether the university or Sheffield could do more to prevent these kind of attacks, because these kind of freaks will always be around and police can’t be put on every street. People should just be aware and not be alone in such places and be cautious.

Alexandra and George, third year, Chemistry 

Alexandra: I’m also a 21-year-old female so the news has made me quite afraid to walk home alone. I’m already apprehensive about walking home alone anyway, through the park especially because I usually cut through there, but this incident has made me a bit worried to do that now.

George: It was kind of surprising to hear about the attack, especially how early it was as well and how close it is. They need to change the lightning round there.

Alexandra: The lighting isn’t great and I know they do some sort of women’s bus or a night bus, but maybe they can do that more often. I’ve never actually got one because I’m not really sure how it works.

Toby, third year, Biology 

I feel safe walking at night in Sheffield, but in some areas I probably wouldn’t feel as safe if I was alone.

With regards to safety, it happened quite early, maybe in areas closer there should be more patrols potentially, I mean you only really see security patrolling student accommodation but maybe there can be more patrols on popular roots. I haven’t heard much being spoken by the university about safety awareness so maybe they could make it more known.

It is shocking considering the attack was so close, but there has been incidents like this in the past so it’s not like it is a one off incident – I don’t think Sheffield is particularly unsafe though considering its a big city.