Sheffield Uni is a top 100 LGBT-friendly employer

It ranked 88th in the UK

The University of Sheffield has been ranked as a top 100 employer for LGBT equality, according to the latest Stonewall ranking.

The results were configured from an equality index, which measures LGBT culture, diversity and inclusion in the workplace. Stonewall commended their top 100 employers for their ‘commitment to LGBT equality – to your staff, service users and customers’.

Sheffield also came up trumps with a no. 65 ranking for Sheffield City Council.

Now in its thirteenth year, the Stonewall survey is one of the largest in the UK, receiving feedback from over 91,000 employees in the 2017 survey.

Stonewall account manager, Josh Willacy reflected on how Sheffield has been LGBT-friendly in the past year. He said: From the meaningful and thoughtful events held, to the inclusive communications, rainbow lanyards and ever growing LGBT allies group Open@TUoS, the University continues to raise standards and share best practice.

Moving forward, they should strive to increase trans- inclusivity and visibility, focus on multiple identities within the LGBT community and explore their impact as Global Diversity Champions.”

For 2018, the survey has dedicated itself to focusing on trans-inclusivity in the workplace and highlighting the importance of this in next year’s rankings.