The Twelve Days of Christmas Sheffield Edition

It’s time to loosen up those vocal chords for this very merry Sheffield spin on the classic carol

On the first day of Christmas a student gave to me…

The Last seat in the IC

As a student at Sheffield University you will no doubt be familiar with the struggle to get a seat in the IC. Once the festive season comes to an end and the exam period begins, it will be a fight to the death to see who can claim the last seat before the capacity reaches its limit. So unless you set a new years resolution to wake up earlier next semester, I’m afraid you really don’t stand a chance.

Who knows what to expect come exam time…

On the second day of Christmas a student gave to me…

Two Notty Pies

Before we all set off home for our well deserved Christmas break (queue Chris Rea’s ‘Driving Home for Christmas’), let us all celebrate the end of another semester with one last Notty pie for 2016. Tis’ the season for indulging and expanding those waistlines after all.

If only the Notty House could follow us home for the holidays

On the third day of Christmas a student gave to me…

Three deadlines

Ah yes as Christmas approaches, so do the deadlines. Around this festive period, many of us tend to forget that University isn’t just blue pints and early morning trips to the Broomhill Friery. Alas the phrase ‘last minute’ becomes all too familiar as you frantically search the library for anything that looks like useful revision material to help you over the holidays.

On the fourth day of Christmas a student gave to me…

Four Roar tickets

But then again one couldn’t possibly of missed out on the final Roar of the year. Everyone knows that this year Christmas day was actually on the 14th December and Santa Claus is really just a drunk rugby lad in disguise.

On the fifth day of Christmas a student gave to me…

A Five Pound Round

For Sheffield’s very own version of the five golden rings, it has to be everyones favourite five pound round at Tiger Works on West Street. Let us take a moment to express our gratitude to Tiger Works for this wonderful (and mega cheap) creation. Always a bar crawl staple for Sheffield students and we wouldn’t have it any other way.

On the sixth day of Christmas a student gave to me…

Six clubbers slaying

Get that festive attire ready for all your nights out in the final and most festive week of the entire year. Prepare yourself for free santa hats and Mariah Carey’s ‘All I want for Christmas’ to be played on repeat.

On the seventh day of Christmas a student gave to me…

Seven hills a climbing 

Once voted officially the worst thing about Sheffield, there’s no escaping the famed inclines of our city. Like Rome, George Orwell even once said that Sheffield was built on seven hills. This statement may have been debated throughout the years, but no one can dispute that Endcliffe mountain has defeated many a poor fresher and Crookes’ Conduit will continue to live up to its notoriety.

On the eighth day of Christmas a student gave to me…

Eight Corp pints

Nothing quite says Christmas like Corp. Indulge in the festivites by taking on the infamous Corp Rainbow Pint Challenge, with an extra pint for luck.

On the ninth day of Christmas a student gave to me…

Nine Sabrecats cheering

A very Merry Christmas to all the sports teams and societies at Sheffield University. You have made it to every Roar Wednesday and are still standing.

On the tenth day of Christmas a student gave to me…

Ten Bar One burgers

You’re not really a Sheffield student if you haven’t had a burger from Bar one or at least witnessed your friend eating one at a Bar One quiz. Take this opportunity to grab a burger with your mates to say a farewell to our beloved students union for a few weeks. Word is that Bar One are currently giving away free mince pies so thats your dessert sorted.

On the eleventh day of Christmas a student gave to me…

Eleven hours of sleeping

When you all return home for the holidays, you will no doubt be bombarded by questions from the family. The dreaded ‘how is University going?’ is one that is capable of sending chills down the spine. We ought to tell Grandma that University is extremely civilised and educationally stimulating. When in reality we all know that sleep is a students favourite activity and our water is essentially alcohol.

Think someone is ready for the holidays

On the twelfth day of Christmas a student gave to me…

Twelve flatmates drinking

Gather all ye flatmates round the table and drink till your merry and paralytic. This is the time of the year to bond over a Christmas dinner, or turkey dinosaurs for those of you who can’t cook to save your life, and then act surprised when you open your ‘secret’ santa present. There’s always one who tells.

Christmas Decorations are obligatory