Fresher window art is a beautiful but dying phenomenon

Consider the Post-It notes as you would consider a Michelangelo

The historical art of window dressing has been around for centuries, progressing over the decades to reach our accommodation villages. This practical feature of a building has become a blank canvas. An easel for the modern day Picasso, with too much time, and too many Post-it notes on their hands.

However, this beloved art form is facing grave threats from dark forces in our artistically oppressive society.

The Tab recently reported on an email sent to residents of a King’s College apartment block, demanding the removal of “all paper/messages from windows with immediate effect”. If residents refused, the email ominously threatened that “further action may be taken”.

A modern day masterpiece

“Creativity takes courage”, said Henri Matisse. It is as true in Endcliffe and Ranmoor today as it was when the renowned French artist unveiled his revolutionary cut-outs. We must not bow to censorship, but rather be brave in the battle of the windowpane.

Window art can be just as open to interpretation as any highbrow gallery piece. It is just as possible to ponder some artfully-arranged Post-It notes, as it is to study a Jackson Pollock. Let it be clear to all that a window frame is like a picture frame — a space in which art can, and should, exist.

Bringing love to our troubled world

Subtle yet symbolic, this heart draws on themes of love, compassion and unity. Multicoloured Post-Its signify the spectrum of ups and downs experienced in adolescent love – from passionate one night stands, to the devastation of a breakup. A deep and powerful observation of society today.

So why oppress such a loving, inclusive gesture? Surely the politically correct police should be encouraging such a salute.

Bloody window lickers

Thought provoking and ambiguous, this slogan remains in the audience’s mind, sparking countless questions – who is the culprit? Why do they lick windows? Is this an issue sweeping the village? A mystery we shall never solve.

The minimalist style, created through montone bubble writing leaves the viewer with a feeling of bleakness from this lack of conclusion.

A true finger up to the man. Understated, bold, and simplistically offensive. There is no purer work than this, Da Vinci would be proud. The use of the linear horizontal line portrays the message as a direct insult, striking straight at the heart of the creatively restrictive society we live in.

Money making chancers

Like all art-forms, the opportunity for expression is overshadowed by financial need. This enterprising resident has succumbed to the temptation to make a quick buck — at the cost of artistic freedom. Banksy would be ashamed.

Promoters shamelessly advertise their latest events with blu-tacked flyers. Garish concert posters leave little room for anything more profound. For those trapped inside these capitalist dens, money literally taints their view of the world. Perhaps therein exists a deeper statement.

How could you say no to such cute puppy dog eyes?

A question littered with so many connotations, this masterpiece speaks out to a generation. What next, a window adorned with the slogan “Netflix and Chill?” This message breaks boundaries, pushes past the technological world we exist in. It poses a great paradox – using an old form of communication, written word, to ask for a technologically dependent goal – nudes.

UK Grime Central. Sausage rolls 4 MKAT.

This particular work proves that restricting creativity has collateral damage – it also affects the economy and currency. This particular piece exhibits the UK Grime Central’s bartering skills – sausage rolls for MKAT. A better deal has never been struck. This greatness deserves to be observed and marked in the annals of history.

Look at the passion in Holly’s eyes

Drifting from the norm, this particular flat adorn their windows from a realism perspective. The detailed strokes of the pen and the extreme craftsmanship bring a tear to the eye.

Festivity doesn’t get better than this

The crowning glory in Endcliffe’s portfolio is definitely this elaborate nativity scene. Such genius is currently unmatched on campus. A few playing-cards sellotaped together may have sufficed at the start of term, but now, if this platform for creativity is to survive, the kitchen window must be fully embraced.

This is truly the cherry on top of Endcliffe and Ranmoor’s fight back against the artistically limited world our planet is morphing into.