Queen Mary’s SU wants to ban tabloid newspapers being sold on campus

They want to boycott the Sun, Express and Mail

Queen Mary’s Students’ Union is the latest institute to propose a ban on tabloid newspapers from being sold on campus.

The ‘commercial boycott’ motion was passed on 6th December by the Union council, requesting The Sun, Express and Daily Mail to not be sold in shops at QMUL.

The student body presented the motion to boycott the papers on the grounds that the university should stand in solidarity with marginalised groups, as well as upholding their values of “diversity and inclusivity”.

feat

The full motion stated: “The Union should continue to stand in solidarity with refugees, migrants, ethnic minorities and other marginalised groups.

“The Union should continue to stand by its mission, vision and values such as “diversity and inclusivity”.

“The Union should not sell nor stock The Daily Mail, The Sun or The Daily Express in its venues and outlets due to the hateful treatment of these groups by newspapers.”

30 universities in the UK have banned tabloids from campus shops, including City London University, Cardiff University, UEA and most recently Plymouth University.

2380779_bd05a27d

In a statement, Queen Mary’s University Students’ Union said: “As a Union we strive to support all students at Queen Mary, and this includes ensuring refugees, migrants and other marginalised groups feel welcome.

“It is important to note that this motion is not a ban of these newspapers from Queen Mary campuses and students are more than welcome to bring them onto campus.

“It is a commercial boycott that will ensure the Union does not profit from the sale of these newspapers.

“As with all motions passed at Student Council the details of the proposals will now be fully considered by the Union.”

NOW WATCH:
The Tab Queen Mary The Tab Queen Mary News