Who Are The Shantics?

The London-based spikey pop band, the Shantics, are coming to Oxford. Get ready.

Now is the time to stop what you’re doing, and listen to this track while you’re reading the article. Why? Because The Shantics are coming to Oxford this Thursday, and you need to go.

Fun Fact: These are the same lads who are working with Jake Gosling. As in… the same genius who produced music for Ed Sheeran, Lady Gaga, Daft Punk and One Direction (we know you’re a fan)!

The band has given me the 411 on who they are, what to expect at their concert and even about their appreciation for the treasure himself, Bruno Mars.

The Oxford Tab: Now would be the time to introduce yourselves. Let us know more about the Shantics.

The Shantics: The Shantics is a four-piece band from South West London, two brothers Jimmy and Harry Morris, Jacob Nation and Mike Cosburn. We all met through what can only be described as fate, and we all share an unhealthy love of warm pita breads and hummus. We love bands like The Police, The Cure, Television and Velvet Underground.

The Oxford Tab: You’ve recently had your first hit, “Maybe I…” come out onto Spotify, YouTube and even a music video in the works for ANOTHER single. How did you decide this was going to be the song that would jump-start your music?

The Shantics: We wrote and recorded ‘Maybe I…’ quickly, which we thought was good because it didn’t give us too much time to overthink anything which we have been guilty of before. It was just a live recording in our front room and it felt and sounded really natural, rough and ready.

We are soon to release our next single ‘Big Love’, which is another energetic, spikey pop song. It is about the relationship between Hank and Karen in the TV series Californication – we have been fortunate enough to work with super-producer Jake Gosling and can’t wait for people to hear it. We are just planning what the video for it is going to be like at the moment which is really exciting.

The Oxford Tab: How would you describe your music style, in the format of food?

The Shantics: We are sushi with a little bit of wasabi on top because we are fresh, raw and excite your senses. Also, like us of course, rice has a lot of substance to it, and in the same way our songs are short and snappy, sushi is nice and bite-sized. We also want to be HUGE in Japan because… money!

The Oxford Tab: Why should the Oxford crowd be looking forward to your show this upcoming week?

The Shantics: We aren’t from round Oxford and we have never played there before, so hopefully we will be something different, and we aren’t sure when we are coming back, so catch us there now.

The Oxford Tab: To bring about the usual millennial twist – who would you guys describe as your squad goals? (Musically of course.)

The Shantics:
We would love to have Bruno Mars in the band because our choreography is seriously lacking. And maybe David Brent as a featured artist sometimes.

Check out their concert this Thursday, March 2, 2017 at the Jericho Tavern. Get your tickets here to join the fun… followed by RSVPing.