Confessions of a Serial Dater on V-Day

Because a relationship status is a bonus, not an accessory.

life love oxford sex

Happy Valentine’s Day, Happy Single Awareness Day, or Happy whatever the hell you want to name it Day. The point is, for most people, this particular day is the perfect way to demonstrate your relationship status through a set of sarcastic, witty or even sentimental posts on Facebook that we can all relate to.

(Or for some, finally give that girl or a guy a huge, “F*** you for being indecisive,” speech.)

Here’s why I find this day insightful. It’s the perfect way to look back at all the times you’ve had with that special one (or several ones), and ask yourself, “What the hell was I thinking?”

This isn’t even about the guy or girl who didn’t text you back, or felt the need to give you a straight-up answer as to why they think it’s okay to ghost you. It’s about how you handle the situation.

To put it this way, are you going to Taylor Swift the crap out of them or remember that you can take ownership of your own life. In other words, you don’t have to deal with this bullsh**.

Take it from someone who is the expert at choosing the bad boys. The ones who are unattainable. The ones who you have told you, “I think you’re amazing… but, I’m just not looking for anything right now.” Be your own boss. Do not see a fall-out with a guy or girl as the end of your love life. See it as a clean slate to start the next chapter, recognize your worth and branch out into your interests, passions and self-love.

Just doing my own thing. Casually.

Heck, even masturbation is also a fantastic way to show yourself that your needs matter.

The right person will want to put up with your quirky shenanigans. They will call you, because they want to – not because they want something from you for a night, or because they are bored. They will listen to you and ensure that no matter what, you can count on them. No more games. Imagine that.

In the mean time, do not forget your worth. Do not forget those who have surrounded you, and reminded you how awesome it is to be around you. Think about what you have accomplished, and how much more you will evolve as a person because you are putting yourself first! When you make time for personal development and appreciation for the little things in life, you know you’re on your way to being the truest version of yourself. And who the hell wouldn’t want that?

So if you’re downing a bottle of wine tonight, whether with your loved ones or over chick flicks – celebrate the fact that you deserve to be loved. Because you truly do.