Oxford grad granted £1m High Court trial because he didn’t get a first

The University have been ordered to go to court

Hide Images

If exam season has been a particularly calamitous one, maybe this might give you hope. Cast your mind back and try to remember the Oxford grad suing the university because he got a 2:1, not a first. Far from fizzling out amongst mockery, the case has been judged substantial enough for a full trial.

After studying modern history at Brasenose College, who count David Cameron among their alumni, Faiz Siddiqui graduated in 2000 with a 2:1. He branded the grade “underachievement for various factors unrelated to his ability”. Mainly, Siddiqui alleges “appallingly bad” teaching of a specialist Indian history module, the ISS. During his final year, over half of the teaching staff for the course were on sabbatical. 13 out of 15 students on the module received their lowest mark in their degree on the ISS.

Siddiqui was also suffering from medical issues, including hay fever. These led to the grade of one paper in the ISS being raised from a 2:2 to a 2:1.

According to website Legal Cheek and a paper published on legal research website i-law, Siddiqui signed a solicitor training contract after university with Clifford Chance, a prestigious ‘magic circle’ law firm. Desirable as this may be, Siddiqui dreamed of being a barrister. Since then, he has worked in tax.

Now he’s suing the university for lost earnings. Siddiqui alleges he would have made an extra £1m as a high-flying international barrister by now if he had that all-important first. In an initial December hearing, the university argued that the claim was “hopelessly bad”. Internet comments sections, and probably your mum, agreed. He should’ve knuckled down and spent a bit more time in library.

However, the judge did not agree. He ruled that “the University has a case to answer” and that Siddiqui “has a real prospect of succeeding in persuading the court”, directing that the case be fixed for trial as soon as possible. This means the saga will be played out in full. Siddiqui, a solicitor, will not be representing himself in court.

For good or ill, the door is open for more dissatisfied students to sue. Questions are being raised as to whether universities will feel pressured to issue more, less deserved firsts. Yet, as tuition fees soar, the ability to hold under-delivering universities to account in court might just prove more valuable than leaving snarky comments on module feedback forms.