Latest university rankings prove nobody really likes being at Oxford

We came 50th in the UK

Before you go to university, Cambridge and Oxford are the undoubted behemoths of the academic world, the institutions every high-achiever aspires to attend. Once you’re here though it seems it’s a very different story. In the latest university rankings based on student feedback, Oxford was ranked the 50th best university in the UK.

That’s lower than the University of Lincoln.

The rankings published by Whatuni.com are based on the reviews and comments of over 25,000 students and take into account ten categories including accommodation, city life, clubs and societies, courses and lecturers, job prospects, student union, facilities and support services.

Cambridge fared similarly poorly, ranking 46th, suggesting Oxford’s low score is a much wider Oxbridge problem. The intensity of our academic environment may be beneficial in the long-term but it seems nobody at either university is willing to argue publicly that it’s actually enjoyable. It won’t be helped that many of the categories listed above don’t apply to Oxbridge as much as they do at more vocational universities.

Of course, any rankings based on student opinion will be flawed. Top of the Whatuni rankings is Harper Adams University, a mostly agricultural university which acts as a finishing school for young farmers. This niche university won’t be considered by the vast majority of teenagers in Britain but helps provide a near-guaranteed path into work for those who do go there. Given this, it’s no surprise that it should score highly for job prospects and student support.

This doesn’t excuse the fact that it seems a lot of people at Oxford don’t like being here. Would it be wrong to expect the university to do a better job at looking after its students and improving their experience? Or is the harsh work-first attitude beneficial enough that we can sacrifice enjoying the few years we’re here for the sake of our future?

Tell us what you think.