High-flyer leaves Oxford to realise her dreams at University of Bolton

Her average mark was a dynamite 88

A psychology graduate who left Oxford due to depression bounced back to receive a first class degree at the University of Bolton. 

Caitlin Jenkins became one of the highest achieving graduates in the north west university’s history this year, achieving a remarkable average mark of 88.

Her final year project investigating ‘experiences of psychiatric diagnosis’ was praised, receiving a mark of 92 — the highest ever for a psychology undergraduate project in the history of the department.

Awarded both a Governor’s Prize and the British Psychological Society Award, Caitlin puts her success down to her deep-rooted passion for her subject.

Caitlyn with Professor Jerome Carson. Photo: The Bury Times.

Caitlin, who began reading English at Oxford University at the age of 19, told The Bury Times: “I was in and out of hospital with severe depression for many years and getting back to university didn’t seem to be on the horizon.

“I chose Bolton because it is smaller, compared to other local universities. The staff and my peers at the university have helped to make it an incredibly rewarding experience.

“I hope to go on to complete my clinical training now. I never imagined I would be able to contemplate that.”

She added: ” I really enjoyed my time at Bolton. The psychology department is relatively small but very dynamic and the lecturers are always on hand to answer questions and engage in discussions.

“I felt like more than just a face in a lecture theatre and whenever I needed help or support I only had to ask.

“I went back to university fully focused on academic work but despite this single-mindedness I’ve come away with a wonderful group of like-minded friends.

This is the campus at Bolton

“Our shared passion for our subject and for learning was such an important part of my experience at Bolton and the support we gave each other, particularly during our final year, helped us all achieve more than we would have done alone.”

Professor Jerome Carson, who oversaw Caitlyn’s work at Bolton said: “We’ve just been astonished by Caitlin. Her research work for her dissertation was just amazing.”