New JCR condemns Union over colonialist cocktail scandal

There are calls for the Union President to resign

cocktail new college Olivia Merrett

Outraged JCR is “shocked and disgusted” after the controversial colonialist cocktail scandal.

Following the uproar last week, New College JCR have sent a letter to the Oxford Union condemning them for the incident.

In a letter signed by New JCR’s President, Vice President and Access, Minorities and Equal Opportunities Officer, say they have “glamourised and trivialised colonialism and slavery”, and attacks the Union’s apology for being inadequate and reducing the matter to “a mere ‘error of judgement'”.

The letter read: “We are shocked and disgusted anybody in the Union thought this was acceptable or appropriate in any way, and no adequate apology or response was issued.”

The motion to send the letter was discussed at an emergency JCR meeting – the first such meeting at New in at least four years.

The motion passed with no opposition and 59 votes in favour.

Imaan Binyusuf, who proposed the motion, said at the meeting: “The Union is viewed as synonymous with the student body and this has a hugely negative effect on access efforts.”

She added: “We are not synonymous with the Union and it is a powerful message to say this is not something we agree with.

“The apology is not acceptable and the Union continues to trivialise it.”

Rob Harris, Librarian-Elect at the Union and second year New student, said: “What happened on Thursday evening was completely awful and I cannot make an adequate apology for it.

“We are trying to ensure nothing like this can ever happen again.”

Photo: Isaac Kang

The letter was sent to Union President Olivia Merrett on Sunday morning.

She said: “On behalf of The Oxford Union, I will respond fully to the issues raised in your letter and explain how the Union intends to address this after the meeting of The Standing Committee on Monday at 11.30am.”

Merrett has faced increasing numbers of calls to resign in recent days.

She has not commented to press about the scandal, and was reportedly seen running away from journalists on Thursday.

The Union’s BME officer, Esther Odejimi, resigned on Friday saying she was “disgusted at the way they have behaved both, towards me, and the wider black community”.

Similar motions are being debated at other JCRs over the coming days, including one at Corpus Christi on Sunday evening and Univ on Tuesday.