WomCam whiteboards hit Rad Cam in radical revolution

Think feminism is finished? Think again.

Equality may seem an obvious goal, but we remain far from reaching it

OUSU Women’s Campaign hit back against the patriarchy yesterday by broadcasting pro-feminist slogans.

A radical statement from Sophie Hall Luke, one of the campaign’s organisers

Members of the public were photographed outside the Rad Cam and other locations holding whiteboards which read ‘I need feminism because…’, in an attempt to raise awareness of issues facing women and society in today’s world.

Some people feel that women, like Victorian children, should be seen and not heard

Male and female students alike came out in force on Monday to protest against sexism and misogyny.

You won’t fool the children of the Revolution

Sophie Hall Luke, one of the event’s organisers, told the Tab: ‘It was really inspiring to see so many Oxford students coming to have their photo taken for Who Needs Feminism today.

Some people’s statements were somewhat bolder than others’

“I think the breadth of responses we got highlighted the diverse ways in which feminism still matters to people.

Fed up of being cat-called?

Rape shaming of women remains a pertinent issue for many, with just 6.5% of reported rapists being convicted and an estimated 95% of cases going unreported

“Sexist ‘banter’ is rife in university life, but with 1 in 7 women students being victims of serious sexual assault or serious physical violence, it’s important we remind people this isn’t acceptable.”

We’re sick of ‘girly’ being used as an insult, too

Ever walked into a phone shop where the main selling point seems to be that the phones come in ‘pretty colours’?

WomCam will be taking part in the Oxford branch of the One Billion Rising campaign on February 14th.

Campaigns such as this one offer courage to women (and men) everywhere

The group are holding a flash mob to raise awareness of violence against women. The campaign takes its name from the statistic that 1 in 3 women will be raped or beaten in their lifetime.

WomCam holds weekly feminist discussion on Mondays, 6pm, at Wadham.

This woman takes a stand against the trivilialisation and belittling of women in popular entertainment

Cai Gwynn Wilshaw, who took part in the campaign, told the Tab: “It’s easy to forget how often casual sexism is overlooked.

A candid encapsulation of the views of many people today.

The OUSU campaign are taking the right steps in making sure gender equality is at the forefront of people’s minds.

“With so much potential for change at Oxford, it’s brilliant that there are people leading the charge.”

The tide of feminism has really only just begun

Elisabeth, co-chair of WomCam, told the Tab: ‘There are a lot of misconceptions as to what feminism is, and we wanted to make it clear that feminism is something everyone can support, and that gender inequality affects everyone in more ways than you might think.

Is this an issue we can afford to ignore?

“We are thrilled with the response we have received, and will be hosting an extra session this Thursday from 2 to 5 outside the RadCam to give people who missed out the first time a chance to take part.’

Fair point. Women were not allowed membership of Oxford Uni until 1920.

The campaign did not receive an entirely positive reponse, however; some offensive comments were made on photographs posted on Facebook.

Some people are just dicks.

The Tab have approached those responsible for comment, but the only response it received was the following from one poster: ‘just give me a couple of hours while i think of something clever to say’.

The poster has since chosen not to comment further, since ‘nobody is going to read that far down the article anyway’, but he did invite our journalist to interview him, saying, ‘just bring yourself, a pen, a notepad and a bag of Extra-safe condoms’. Because even misogynists are into safe sex. Wouldn’t want any more women over-populating their world now then, would they?

Some say feminism is a purely a women’s issue, but…

Have you been convinced of the relevance of feminism today? Let us know by commenting!

For more pictures gathered in the campaign’s extra sessions and the media response to the protests, click here.

For the rest of the pictures taken, see facebook.com/womcam or www.womcam.tumblr.com

• Anonymous

I would enjoy reading a comment thread ANYWHERE on the internet that didn’t sound like a grade school classroom full of name calling and finger pointing. I wish for a world where we learn how to communicate and really hear each other, male and female, every skin tone, every age group. I am 100% behind the advancement of the human race which includes gender equality… We are all inherently better than how we choose to represent ourselves. We can all do better, the lot of us.

• Tonia D Troll

I need feminists because I’m sexually attracted to women who use reusable fanny pads, don’t shave, have crewcuts, wear boiler suits and Doc Martins, don’t wear bras and speak like a man, but ironically they still can’t read a map.

• David Shield

As a gay man, i need feminism

• remarkable

I need feminism like a fish needs a bicycle.

• SortedMeAuldMucker

“Think feminism is finished? Think again.” – Livi Wilkinson
    With all due respect to Ms. Wilkinson, in re her article, I thought about it again and I think feminism is finished.

• Lindsey

Excellent post. I was checking continuously this blog and I’m impressed! Very helpful info specially the last part :) I care for such information much. I was looking for this certain info for a long time. Thank you and good luck.

Feel free to visit my weblog: astuce

• Anonymous

You have never met my husband have you child?

• Jerome

Very good information. Lucky me I came across your site by chance (stumbleupon).

I have saved as a favorite for later!

Take a look at my blog post :: online number plates

• Kimberly

I need feminism because the posts on this page are all the evidence we need to show that patriarchy still rules this planet, and will ruin it for human life if the women aren’t allowed to step in. And it’s so evident and palpable the absolute FEAR these men posting have of women!

My favorite was the last poster by the man. It takes a truly strong man to be a feminist, even when the current patriarchy gives him certain advantages. Thank you to this man. Brave and courageous.

For all you feminist-bashers, please be sure to tell your Mom, your sister, and your daughter how you feel about them. Because feminism is the simple notion that women are people.

• Musculos

Your post only shows that you need feminism because opinions you disagree with shouldn’t exist and that you are too fragile to live in a society with open debate.

• Snooze Hamilton

Good job, people (bows)

I need Feminism because people still think the idea that women AND men don’t need to be made to fit in neatly labeled, tiny boxes is radical.

• Ria Swift

Feminism: the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes. I always thought I was equal. I think ya’ll got this wrong. Men are the ones who need to know women are equal. We already know it. Men and women need to be liberated. This root word and it’s definition don’t make sense. How can something starting with Fem…..stand for both male and female. We need a new word. How about EQUALITY! Drop the labels, realize we are all equal, and moving on. If you don’t get that, either side, then Feminism isn’t going to change it. It really is the wrong word. It implies women have to do something or be something. We don’t….cause we already are!!!! and so are men. There is no real freedom in labels. This is just one more.

• Anonymous

lol basicly he means “I need feminism because I like to have a dick in my butt” LOL….

• Preston

obviously like your web site however you have to check the spelling on several of your posts.
    Several of them are rife with spelling issues and I to find it very troublesome to inform the
    reality then again I will surely come back again.

My web-site :: live Chat online (Fotki.com)

• http://Feministinsider Rebecca

So much shite from pseudo-informed intellectuals

you know what makes me laugh as a former feminist academic – is the fact that I know from the inside that all these women only got into Oxford because they are women.

How can they be so ignorant?

When you campaign to take a bullet in the head on the front line, clear shite from sewers, demand more violence so you have an equal share of what men collectively suffer in the world, are equally unemployed and depressed and suicidal, are equally hated and ignored by the rest of society – then you have equality –
    if you dont like this then shut the fuck up

• http://Www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsIy_3day3k Red Crucible 2 Hack

Everyone loves what you guys are up too. This kind of
    clever work and coverage! Keep up the wonderful works guys I’ve you guys to our blogroll.

• Guest

This is really good work that’s been done but I can’t help feeling that theirs a severe lack of feminists from the lgbt community. It’s already difficult for them to have their voices heard even amongst feminists so I’m really disappointed that WomCam sees the world in such a heteronormative fashion. Also, where are the POC’s? There needs to be more of them here too.

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

I had depression and now I study a PhD in happiness at Oxford University

Becoming depressed was the worst and best thing that ever happened to me

, Head of Marketing

I’d rather hang out with my parents than go clubbing

Most of my friends would, too

, Durham Editor of The Tab

Rhodes Must Fall founder makes waitress cry ‘typical white tears’

He wrote ‘WE WILL GIVE TIP WHEN YOU RETURN THE LAND’

,        

How to check your boobs: A guide

It’s so easy

Aussie street style: Melbourne

Could you be any more laidback

We asked our mums if they hate having us back at home after university

A new study has found live-at-home adults are a £1.2 billion drain on their parents