Protest planned for Assange

UPDATE: protests planned for Wikileaks founder’s Union talk

julian assange oxford union

Angry students plan to protest against Julian Assange’s Oxford Union appearance.

One will take place at the Union, while the other will be outside the Ecuadorian embassy, where the Australian is seeking asylum.

The silver-haired Australian, who is accused of rape in Sweden, will speak via videolink on January 23.

The debate rages online

Hertford PPE student Simone Webb, who is one of the protest organizers, told The Huffington Post UK: “I’m doing this because I want to express my anger at Assange’s continued evasion of the justice system over his rape allegations.

“The  Union have invited him to speak at an awards ceremony at the Union – a speech, not a debate, so there will be little opportunity for him to be called to account. I do not think that someone who is actively fleeing rape allegations should have been offered this privilege.”

Assange faces rape accusations in Sweden

Last term the Cambridge Union was forced to cancel a talk by Assange after women’s rights campaigners sought to block it.

His biography on the Union term card says: “Known worldwide as the founder and public face of WikiLeaks, Julian Assange has made headlines across the world by exposing government misconduct.

“He has championed the principle of freedom of information, yet some have criticised his activities as reckless and dangerous.

“Under Assange’s leadership, WikiLeaks has published innumerable classifed diplomatic cables and played a crucial role in shaping the international political landscape.

“He is currently living as a fugitive in the Ecuadorian Embassy in London.”

This could get ugly…