Notts boasts huge fall in burglaries

Robin Hood would be disappointed

Home burglaries in Nottingham – the former crime capital of Britain – have fallen by over a third.

Police officers have been called to 36 per cent fewer break-ins so far in 2015, in good news for people who like their possessions.

Nottinghamshire Police dealt with 576 separate incidents since April 1, compared to a staggering 896 burglaries over the same period in 2014.

The new official police figures sound promising, although it could be despairing locals aren’t bothering to report burglaries anymore because they are so commonplace.

In a group of the country’s nine “core cities” including Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham, Nottingham is showing the biggest reduction in burglary offences this year.

Police say the the big drop is down to gathering more in-depth intelligence on prolific criminals, re-offending management and community protection officers on the streets.

Detective Chief Inspector Leona Scurr said:”In comparison with other cities, Nottingham has seen a marked improvement.

“Dwelling burglary is regarded by the force as a very serious crime which Nottinghamshire Police is addressing through bespoke operations and tactics.

“We are doing lots of work to combat burglars. This includes Operation Graduate, which focuses on offenders who target the city’s large student population.”

Last year, £500 of charity money raised by the Nottingham Knights was stolen from a house in Teversal Avenue.

The national media gave Nottingham the coveted title of Britain’s burglary capital in 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009, and in 2006 student favourite Kimbolton Avenue was reported to be the most burgled street in the country.

Now all you need to worry about is getting stabbed, following last month’s knife attacks at the Market Square Carnival and outside the Cornerhouse.