‘Tories, Tories, Tories! Out, Out, Out!’: Anti-cuts march draws in students

They weren’t very happy

This weekend the city centre was graced by glorious weather and hundreds of angry protesters marching against austerity and the Tory victory in May’s election.

Notts Uncut led the Fight The Cuts march through market square – which was attended by a handful of students.

They held placards to save the NHS and denounce David Cameron as a pig.

Second year Archaeology student Rachel Hoskins said: “I cannot see any investment in the future by the Tory government. Austerity measures are made for the benefit rich, middle aged and above. Cuts to healthcare will not help the future, cuts to education and rising tuition fees will not help students.

“As students we have a duty to fight for our own future, because the Tory government or in my eyes any politician does not have your best interests in mind. These protests are a way of collaborating, bringing unity to the left and everyone affected that we do not want cuts.”

But Nottingham is a safe Labour seat. winning a majority with 47.6 per cent of voters in Nottingham South – with the Tories managing 31.7 per cent.

While cuts may not seem like they affect students, protesters told us that as a disabled student, £12 billion a year of welfare cuts is harming.

They said with over 20 per cent of students suffering from a mental illness, it just pushed them further and further away from the help they deserve.

And it’s not just cuts in our education and healthcare which matter, according to Politics student Phoebe Greggor told The Tab:  “As a student, I’m opposed to the Tory government due to the fact they want to raise tuition fees once again, making high education a luxury for the privileged.

“Austerity cuts have hit the neediest and the poorest the hardest, but not the rich, they are hardly affected by this current government.”

Phoebe then added: “Protests like this allow a usually divide group of people to show support and solidarity for one another while raising awareness of Tory policies which affect a large proportion of the Nottingham community.

“With legal aid being cut, it is likely that the government will argue they have reduced domestic violence and workplace sexual harassment when instead, cuts to legal aid mean victims do not have the ability to go to court over these charges as they cannot be represented. These cases are not falling in numbers, in fact, far less justice is given out”