Give up giving up, says Trent

,        

NTU bans smoking e-cigs on campus.

They don’t contain tobacco, smoke or tar. But NTU has gone and banned them anyway.

Electronic cigarettes don’t contain any of the 4,000 toxins found in real cigarette smoke – and are often used by smokers trying to kick the habit. But Nottingham Trent has banned students from smoking them because they’re:

Distracting?

– Confusing

Distracting

– Disruptive

In a bid to explain why NTU is so confused, a spokesman explained that they “appear to be real cigarettes from a distance.”

He added, “In recent months the university… has experienced an increase in the use of electronic cigarettes by both staff and students.

“[Their use] is potentially disruptive, causes confusion and can be a distraction.”

Medical experts have deemed the decision rogue, with John Britton from the UK Centre for Tobacco Control Studies commenting, “It’s medically inconceivable they could be as harmful as the real thing.”

And NTU aren’t the only people to crack down on faux-smoking. The Victoria and Broadmarsh shopping centres and Spoons have banned e-cigarettes too.

Nottingham Uni staff don’t find e-cigarettes too confusing and will continue to allow students to smoke them.

@TheTab
  • dan

Great article – great to see a news source backing up ecigs. I’ve been using them for months now and gave up smoking my accident. I just wanted a healthier alternative, but find I dont even need the nicotine ones. I have a puff on a flavoured nicotine free one after dinner or with a drink and I love it. Just imagine the heath benefits if every smoker swapped to electronic!

Problem is tobacco firms are loosing customers and the govt don’t like it as they cant tax them. There fore they push a lot of mis information out there.

• Sean

Look like cigarette…but not cigarette!? How? Whaaa? No do! Bad juju! No make magic smoke!

• diddy

Except it’s quite a bit more than a trend Mike. Electronic cigarettes are saving people’s lives.

• Joe Sixpack

I thought universities were supposed to be filled with smart people. What is wrong with Trent?

• Anonymous

This ban goes to show you the smoking bans have nothing to do with health concerns or second-hand smoking. The squeaky wheel gets the grease and in this case non-smokers are the 18 wheeler.

• Anonymous

I’m pretty sure the smoking ban was to do with the potential health concerns of second-hand smoking…

• nikki

Why not allow people to use e cigarette devices that do not look like real cigarettes, then you have the benefits but without the confusion or distraction. Problem solved for the hard of thinking at NTU and will stop alienating those smokers who are using this as a method of not smoking. The more e cigarette use is normalized the more smokers will be able to use them and give up their smoking habit, saving potentially thousands of lives every year.

Heard something newsworthy?

, Nottingham News Editor of The Tab

Hundreds of Notts students are offering themselves as ‘sugar babies’ to rich older men

Nottingham is the third largest ‘sugar baby’ uni in the UK

, Nottingham Deputy Editor of The Tab

The family running Jo’s Pancake House are the real heroes of Lenton

How topical

, Nottingham News Editor of The Tab

Two people were hit by a bus outside Victoria Centre this morning

Three ambulances and three police cars were at the scene

, Contributing Editor

People who say ‘Landan’ need to stop

You don’t sound like Danny Dyer, you sound like a dickhead

, Chief Reporter

LSD is essentially a good thing, says science

Two studies have found it can make you happier and might help to reduce domestic violence

, Assistant Editor, The Tab

Every conversation you’ve ever had on your family Whatsapp group

Why does Dad use so many full stops?

, Argument Editor

Every awkward moment after a couple in your friendship group break up

Is it acceptable to start a new WhatsApp group without him in it?

Experts say you shouldn’t ride elephants in Thailand

A tourist was killed, and the animals are often unhappy