UEA has made major breakthroughs in dementia care

The research could improve life for thousands of people

UEA has made great steps forward in research relating to helping people with dementia.

The research found that the quality of life experienced by dementia patients can be improved if they eat meals with their care givers in a family-type setting.

The study also found that listening to music and participating in a number of activities that stimulate the senses can have a profoundly positive effect on dementia sufferers.

The UEA study team worked with other two thousand sufferers to design programmes that improved food and drink intake.

The various techniques used at meals times to boost the patients quality of life included creating a comfortable environment that replicated the home, playing music and participating in physical activities.

Dehydration and malnutrition are common risks for elderly people, and particularly those with dementia. This research from UEA could be crucial in improving the lives of so many struggling with the difficult disease.

The research also went further into the subject, considering if better training and information could be given to care givers their patient’s health, weight and experience of meal times should improve. The study suggests that positive reinforcement during meals would achieve these goals.

Whilst the study was too small to draw any definitive conclusions it could be the first steps forward in helping dementia sufferers.