Terrified freshers find stranger in their Norfolk Terrace flat

The figure was said to be dressed in ‘dark clothing’

A group of startled first years were forced to call emergency services this weekend after finding a stranger in their flat.

The incident, which happened around 12am on Friday night, left students feeling scared and vulnerable.

One Norfolk Terrace resident said: “I came home from a show on Friday night and passed him as he was leaving our flat.

“I asked everyone who he was – no-one had spoken to him or knew he was there and he matched a description given to security about a man wandering round Norfolk that afternoon.”

The man left the building immediately after being discovered and disappeared from the scene before police arrived.

The event has left students unnerved, as it is not known how the man gained access to the building.

Another first year said: “Maintenance were around this morning checking if the doors were closing or not.

“The door for our flat doesn’t always close as well – it could probably have happened to anyone in the block.”

A statement released by the police said: “We can confirm that the police were contacted around 12:15am on 06/02/2016.

“There was an incident on campus where a man was spotted going into a room in UEA accommodation.

“The figure was said to have been wearing dark clothing.

“This information has been passed on to intelligence officers who are working with Norfolk Police.”

A University spokesperson said: “We are aware of an incident involving an unknown person in a student residence.

“This was reported to UEA Security and the police. Student safety is of the utmost importance and any incident like this is investigated to ensure building security is in place and fully functional.

“All students in University accommodation are reminded regularly of the importance of maintaining security by taking care of keys, and keeping doors and windows secure.”