UEA soars into the top 150 unis on the planet

Lol @ Essex

UEA is the 149th best university in the world, and Essex didn’t even make it into the top 300. Suck it up.

The Times Higher Education World University Rankings was released today, ranking 800 universities based on an analysis of 13 performance indicators.

The university is one of only 34 universities from the UK to enter the top 200.  The study, which comprises research from an institute’s teaching, research, knowledge transfer and international outlook, sees UEA rise above Russell Group universities such as Cardiff and Newcastle. UEA was the 25th UK institution to rank in the top 150.

The 2015/16 study has been the most extensive of the THE series yet, and the list of the top 800 universities consists of 70 different countries.

The UK bags three positions in the top 10,  with Oxford in an unsurprising 2nd place, whilst Cambridge ranks 4th and UCL comes in at 8th.

UEA scored best in its citations in research influence with a whopping 92.7. Its international outlook which includes students, staff and research was also assessed well, receiving 83.5.

Scoring less well, however, was its industry income which was given 28.5. Industry income embodies a university’s knowledge transfer in how much research income a university earns from industry, scaled against the number of academics employed.

Essex, once again, were left trailing behind and ranked in a generic bracket of 301-350. Their citation score was nearly a third of UEA’s, ranked at 38.6. Shame.