Night bus saved after UEA campaign

Thousands sign petition to save the number 25

25 bus change first bus night bus petition transport uea

After a petition which gained over 2,000 signatures, First Bus have decided not to cut the all-night 25 bus service.

The 25 bus currently operates a 24-hour bus service but, following a drop in passenger numbers, they proposed cutting the service altogether.

The campaign to save the bus quickly grew huge, with the petition reaching a whopping 2,197 supporters in just 2 weeks – and now it looks like we’re no longer facing a taxi ride home after a Mantra Thursday.

The petition on Change.org

The proposed changes came shortly after Stagecoach took over the company.

Students were not consulted before these proposals despite so many using the service and finding it vital.

One supporter explained how “the 25 bus is a lifeline for people on the route as well as students” while another described how “the night bus has saved my bacon numerous times”.

Thanks to the campaign, First representatives decided to meet with the Student Union, UEA and City Councillor Roger Ryan to find a solution.

The meeting was described as positive, with a resolution agreed.

While the service will change, the timetable will be revised so there are buses in the early hours of the morning, maintaining the transport link between university and the city.

The service will operate all year in the early hours of Tuesday to Sunday mornings – however this will then be up for review again later in the autumn.

Jo Swo, Welfare, Community, and Diversity officer at the Union, responded by saying ‘‘I am delighted to see that First Bus listened to the thousands of students and community members who voiced their opposition through the Student Union’s ‘Save the Night Bus’ campaign.”

“Bus travel is a crucial lifeline for our students and staff, and we’re thrilled that following discussions we have retained a night service and the heavily discounted full year student bus pass.”

In a statement released by the Union, the Business Director for First, Steve Wickers said: “partnerships are key in being able to work together to deliver solutions” and how this was “a testament to this outcome.”

While the new service does not completely retain the previous all-night schedule, the compromises aim to offer a more effective system with closer timetable links to the train service.