Don’t let Magaluf girl ruin Magaluf for the rest of us

These students love Magaluf, and want everyone to know it’s not all about shagging in public and giving out blow jobs for free drinks

Magaluf has become the target of increased scrutiny this summer after a string of holiday sex scandals, starting with the infamous ‘Magaluf Girl’ video.

But the holiday resort loved by many young Brits is not just about seedy sex scandals.

The majority of British students heading to Magaluf aren’t giving out 24 blowjobs for free drinks, they’re just having a massive laugh with their mates.

Clearly there are issues to be tackled in the popular girls/lads holiday destination, which has been recognised by the local government with new legislation introduced to regulate the antics of pub crawl companies, such as Carnage Magaluf.

But amid the media frenzy, which has left parents across the country quivering at the prospect of their little darling jetting off to the island this summer, there is a reason that tens of thousands of young Brits continue to travel their every year.

I visited Magaluf last year on a girls holiday after finishing my A-Levels and I would go again in an instant. It was cheap, hilarious and memorable and welcome relief after the pressure of the academic year.

Whilst there are clearly some individuals who think they are participating in a live sex show- I saw two tourists having sex up against the bar at a water party in BCM (whilst he ordered a drink) – it really is very few who take it to this level.

You would think the Magaluf Girl video was filmed in a convent from the reaction on social media – surely in a place where thousands from the 18-30 market flock to let their inhibitions go, there are bound to be isolated situations where things get out of hand.

Clearly, the extent of the public sex scandals over this summer have had an impact on the resort.

Kate Glover, 19 was working as a bartender in Tokio Joe’s in Magaluf when the clip went viral and is frustrated that it has tarnished both workers and holidaymakers with the same brush.

“I think it’s given people the wrong idea about it-people already think it’s worse than Kavos or Zante when it’s not, it’s exactly the same,” she said.

“It’s made people associate the people that go and work there with one person’s doings”.

Durham student Millie Lewis, who went there last year, agrees that it has been unfairly singled out: “I think it wasn’t as bad as everyone makes out, and Magaluf shouldn’t be targeted as it happens in the other holiday resorts all the time-look at What Happens in Kavos!

“When you sign up to go to Magaluf you know it’s going to be over sexualised, but if you are sensible you can avoid it”

It’s been portrayed that the sole reason young people go to Magaluf is to pounce on anything with a pulse, which just isn’t true.

The appeal extends much further than this, with the opportunity to have a laugh with your closest friends and independence to have a holiday on your terms being what really entices people year on year.

Andy Moffett, 19 certainly revelled in the bonding experience the holiday brought after getting ‘DAANN’ tattooed on his upper arm after a night out in Magaluf.

The photo evidence was proudly uploaded to Facebook with the caption “So the other night I got dans name tattooed on my arm. He made me get an extra A and N as well”.

But don’t worry- ‘DAANN’ didn’t get off scott-free and last year in Ayia Napa got ‘JAACK’ on the inside of his lip (I wonder who’s getting ‘ANDDY’ on their bum next year…)

Magaluf to me is all about getting drunk for cheap with your best mates, going to amazing world-renowned clubs and relaxing on the beach all day to cure the hangover on a continuous loop for your whole holiday.

In true Inbetweeners style, on our first night we were lured into an empty bar with 6 euros for all you can drink in an hour.

This was probably one of my favourite moments of the holiday, with full range of the dance floor to unleash our cringey moves (Sex on the Beach and Double Vodka in hand)

Although popular TV Shows such as BBC Three’s “Sun Sex and Suspicious Parents” and ITV2’s “The Magaluf Weekender” show lads holidays as solely revolving around sex, Lancaster student Matt May doesn’t think this is the case.

“I did not go to Magaluf with the main ambition to have sex as much as possible,” he said.

“It was more about the social aspect of going on a holiday with my friends, having an enjoyable time and making memories that would last.

“If you wanted a holiday with a worldwide reputation for sex, Magaluf is definitely the place for you.

“However this does not mean that without this desire Magaluf is a no go, as there are plenty of opportunities to have fun and enjoy your time there.”

What has been lost under the guise of scandal, controversy and disgust is that most are enjoying the freedom of a holiday with their mates, whilst still retaining a level of self-awareness.

So what that people are acting a tad out of character and gain a bit of liquid confidence? They’re probably celebrating amazing A-levels or getting that 2:1 for which they spent countless hours in the library.

“Most of us just wanted to get drunk and have a laugh as mates. If we got sex that was a bonus,” said Rob Jones, 19, who went to Magaluf last year.

He also looks back in fondness to a particular incident in Magaluf where his friend really wanted a shower after a night out and another friend took it upon himself to shit in the bathtub to prevent this from happening.

“He got ridiculously mad about it. Which made it even funnier”.

Yeah, Magaluf allows people to loosen up and enjoy themselves, but there’s nothing wrong with that. People who take it too far, like Magaluf girl, aren’t exactly standard bearers for students who enjoy the popular getaway.