EDL and foes set to clash

This Saturday the EDL will march in Norwich for the first time, but We Are Norwich are planning to counter them.

Two rival political groups will march to Norwich city hall this Saturday.

The English Defence League (EDL), a radical right-wing group, will march from Castle Gardens. Counter demonstrators We Are Norwich will gather in Chapelfield Gardens prior to the march.

The counter demonstration will meet at 11am.

The EDL are protesting against a decision by the city council, banning a Christian preacher from distributing anti-Islamic “hate-motivated” leaflets from a stall on Hay Hill.

A joint statement denouncing the EDL march was issued from the Church leaders of the Church of England, Roman Catholic, Methodist and Baptist churches, Salvation Army, United Reformed Church and the Quakers.

It said: “The intention of the English Defence League to mount a demonstration in Norwich is entirely unwelcome. Norwich has a long history of welcoming strangers, often in considerable numbers.

“The integration of so many different groups into the life of this fine city is what gives Norwich such richness in its life today. This is a cause for celebration, and we must not allow this honourable tradition to be broken.”

We Are Norwich is a group of local political, community and faith groups. Those to have pledged their support include¬†Josh Bowker, the Union’s academic officer.

• Lily Denyer

dont know why the EDL even bother coming when we clearly outnumber them!

• carlosthecasual

Why would we care if we are outnumbered? We go where we want

• TheHoops

Carlosthecasual….you soon disappeared when 4000 celtic supporters arrived on the scene didn't you!

• shane

Because you are not unwelcome .

• admiralcheese

fascist chav scum! Enough said.

• Yuhaff

You people make me sick, you are encouraging the Muslim takeover of the sad broken and ethnically polluted U.K. Our forefathers fought and died for this country, and the powers that be have been giving it away ever since, integration,total rubbish,infiltration more like, you should be ashamed of yourselves!

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

No, our sex lives are not defined by surveys

Who are you to say I’m boring in bed?

UEA Welfare Officer votes against commemorating Holocaust Memorial Day

All of our other representatives were in favour

The Tab tries: Outdoor gyms

You haven’t felt manly till you’ve flipped a truck tyre in Shoreditch

Justin Timberlake has just released the obligatory ‘song of the summer’

You’re going to really hate this in a few months

Oxford University will not expel Rhodes Must Fall founder

42,000 people called for his bursary to be revoked

, Assistant Editor

All the things you learn about life from your bang average comprehensive

Lunchtime detentions were a rite of passage

, Assistant Editor

Snapchatting your trip to the polling station is silly, self-absorbed and insignificant

It’s a day about something bigger, and you somehow managed to make it about yourself

, Argument Editor

‘What’s the weather like up there?’ and other things tall people are fed up of hearing

You’re right actually, it is starting to rain