EDL and foes set to clash

This Saturday the EDL will march in Norwich for the first time, but We Are Norwich are planning to counter them.

Two rival political groups will march to Norwich city hall this Saturday.

The English Defence League (EDL), a radical right-wing group, will march from Castle Gardens. Counter demonstrators We Are Norwich will gather in Chapelfield Gardens prior to the march.

The counter demonstration will meet at 11am.

The EDL are protesting against a decision by the city council, banning a Christian preacher from distributing anti-Islamic “hate-motivated” leaflets from a stall on Hay Hill.

A joint statement denouncing the EDL march was issued from the Church leaders of the Church of England, Roman Catholic, Methodist and Baptist churches, Salvation Army, United Reformed Church and the Quakers.

It said: “The intention of the English Defence League to mount a demonstration in Norwich is entirely unwelcome. Norwich has a long history of welcoming strangers, often in considerable numbers.

“The integration of so many different groups into the life of this fine city is what gives Norwich such richness in its life today. This is a cause for celebration, and we must not allow this honourable tradition to be broken.”

We Are Norwich is a group of local political, community and faith groups. Those to have pledged their support include¬†Josh Bowker, the Union’s academic officer.

• Lily Denyer

dont know why the EDL even bother coming when we clearly outnumber them!

• carlosthecasual

Why would we care if we are outnumbered? We go where we want

• TheHoops

Carlosthecasual….you soon disappeared when 4000 celtic supporters arrived on the scene didn't you!

• shane

Because you are not unwelcome .

• admiralcheese

fascist chav scum! Enough said.

• Yuhaff

You people make me sick, you are encouraging the Muslim takeover of the sad broken and ethnically polluted U.K. Our forefathers fought and died for this country, and the powers that be have been giving it away ever since, integration,total rubbish,infiltration more like, you should be ashamed of yourselves!

Heard something newsworthy?

What it’s like to go to UEA with your sister

It’s my uni too, okay?

Why Loft is the ultimate guilty pleasure

You can even nap on the aeroplane seats

Union votes to uphold ban on The Sun

74 per cent voted to keep banning it

My week in men’s clothes

Apparently everyone’s doing it

What’s the worst lie you told your parents?

‘I was a real sack of shit as a teenager’

, Chief Reporter

I love living in the ‘uncool’ part of Hackney

It’s cheap and occasionally cheerful

, Assistant Editor

London’s nightlife is nothing on a night in a country pub

Take me back to the Black Horse

, Contributing Editor

Getting wasted with Kanye West fans in Notting Hill

To celebrate the release of The Life of Pablo