How to… Make it work long distance

By on

RACHEL MOSS shares tips on how to make your long distance relationship work, all without turning into a compulsive Facebook stalker...

It’s a new academic year and a chance to meet new people. But what if you’ve already got someone special at home? A boyfriend, girlfriend, something-undefined-friend, can it work?

As well as all the Freshers trying it long distance with their sixth form romance, there are people like me. Current third years whose second year of university involved a relationship that seemed, well… rather normal actually. Then the sod only went and graduated didn’t he?

My boyfriend and I had a bit of a long distance test run when I buggered off to work abroad for the summer (My bad!). Based on the fact that as I type this I still have a boyfriend (Hurrah!) these are my tips for a successful long distance relationship:

1)      Make sure you’re on the same page about giving it a go. Have the ‘do we really both want to do this’ conversation. Yes it is awkward as hell, but it’ll put your mind at rest.

2)      Trust each other. Be realistic about what living apart will be like. Yes this does mean pre-empting that inevitable picture of him with his arm around some pretty girl. She’s probably just a friend. It’s university. There are a lot of pretty girls. Their presence in his tagged photos doesn’t mean he’s shagging them.

3)      Discuss how often you’re going to be able to communicate. If one of you wants a phone call every day and the other every week, compromise. Skype it up on occasion, it’s more fun and cheaper too!

4)      Harness your inner control freak. Plans change. If your partner doesn’t call the minute you expected, it doesn’t mean they’ve been hit by a bus or that you’ve been given the old heave ho. Wait until tomorrow, there is probably a perfectly good explanation.

5)      Plan something nice to do together; it will give you both something to look forward to. I’m not saying book a summer holiday just yet- if it all goes tits up by Christmas you really will be screwed. A fun day out will do.

6)      Surprise them! Why not send something unexpected in the post? It doesn’t have to be expensive. Scheduled phone calls can get predictable, do something silly.

7)      Stop being a Facebook stalker. It’s easy to overanalyse photos/statuses and think that your partner is having more fun without you. Step away from the laptop and have some fun of your own!

8)      Embrace your independence. Life’s too short to mope. Go out. Say yes. Enjoy university!

I could give you the “absence makes the heart grow fonder” cliché to conclude this article. But my more honest summary of going it long distance? Plenty more to talk about when you do eventually see each other and a whole lot of sex to catch up on… Win win.

Heard something newsworthy?

By and and and and on

Confessions: UEA’s most brutal breakup stories

From creepy daddy issues to Valentine’s Day betrayals

By on

House parties are the best night out in Norwich

The floors are a lot less sticky than the LCR

By and on

We went on the hunt for Norwich’s cheapest pint

Sometimes it’s good to get out of the Blue Bar

By , Contributing Editor on

When did Instagram become an excuse to look at soft porn

Answer: as soon as you downloaded it

By , Chief Reporter on

We be burnin’: Meet the golden boys who tan

Lads trip to the sunbeds anyone?

By , Features Editor on

How to come out to your parents

‘My mum hung up on me when I told her I was gay and didn’t call back for 45 minutes’

By , Features Editor on

What club photographers really think of you

A lot of editing goes into that squad Facebook photo

By , Contributing Editor on

What’s the meanest thing anyone’s ever done to you?

Everything is funny when it happens to someone else