Why Northumbria should be your first choice uni

#IWANTNU

There’s probably loads of obvious reasons why you should firm Northumbria and come and join the Geordie land but in case you’re absolutely clueless we can lay it out for you.

Northerners

Lets face it Geordies are a lot friendlier than Londoners. We asked fashion student Ele Prior what she liked about living in Newcastle: “When I came to Newcastle I found that anyone is up for a chat, like at the bus stop or at the supermarket checkout. Cinemas and travel are so much cheaper too! And there are loads of shops in a small proximity so its pretty easy access everywhere!”. Cheaper living, friendlier faces, the pros list really outweighs the cons.

Range of courses and a 90% employment rate after 6 months

Whatever field you want to get in to we’re fairly sure Northumbria has a course for it. Offering sandwich courses, study abroad options, part time work and volunteering in 521 courses for you to choose from. Good luck with narrowing it down.

Party central

Yeah, your course is important but lets face it most students come here for the nights out and we can’t blame you. Newcastle being one of the most popular destinations outside of London for nightlife (a lot cheaper than London might I add) every night is a student night 365 days a year (if you watch Geordie Shore you’ll know what we mean). Newcastle has the infamous trebles bars offering three trebles for £5.50 making getting pissed as cheap as doing your washing.

Modern campus and accommodation options

With new buildings popping up each year Northumbria offers top facilities and top accommodation. Everythings still homely but with a modern twist, if you want Hogwarts then stick to Durham! The university has a state of the art gym as well as slick modern buildings and equipment.

The Student Union

The Northumbria SU always has something going on for everyone. Habita and Reds bar always entertain as well as the endless societies you’ll be roped into joining. Making new mates here really isn’t a problem. St.Paddys day at the SU is one not to be missed, a full day take over and drinking from the AM.

Location

It’s close to the beach, Whitley Bay and Tynemouth beach are both just short journeys on the Metro for the rare sunny day. Newcastle has its own airport which is handy as well as being 15 minutes away from the Metrocentre.

Skinny dipping anyone?

The Metro

Like the underground but smaller and simpler making getting around the city a doddle. Cheap single fares or a monthly pass for £25. Simple.

And the rest…

Stan Calvert Cup, basically Northumbria Vs Newcastle (we obviously won this year), the living cost is reasonably cheap for a big city, St. James park home of Newcastle Football club, amazing restaurants with student offers, the list could go on…

Photo cred: Northumbria UniversityWakiki NewcastleJungle Newcastle