Northumbria plummets in new league tables to 68th in the UK

Will we ever beat Newcastle?

Northumbria is plummeting down the league tables, according to brand new rankings. 

We’re now a sorry 68th in the Guardian uni league for 2015, slipping down from 60th last year.

Out of the 116 unis included in the tables, Northumbria now features in the bottom half overall, making our degrees that little bit more worthless.

The league table takes into consideration factors such as satisfaction, average entry tariff and the added value of the course to individual students.

We still do really well when it comes to general happiness: according to the rankings, 84.4 per cent of Northumbria finalists felt satisfied with both their course and the teaching.

The average amount cheapskate uni bosses spend per student was also shown to be pretty poor, a mere rating of 3.7 out of 10..

Only a number of other universities gained a lower rating than this, including Chichester, Glyndwr and St Mary’s, Twickenham — institutions nobody has ever heard of.

Despite the tightfisted spending, Northumbria has seen improvements in individual subjects. This year has seen the uni progress up the table to 12th position for its architecture and fashion courses, the latter definitely being a real degree.

With the primary education courses ranking 19th and modern languages coming 13th, we’re not far behind the posho institutions of Cambridge, Durham and St Andrews.

Annoyingly, Newcastle only dropped one place this year, now ranking at 28th in the country, as if they ever needed anything else to be smug about.

At least we still have our poly pride and £1.40 pints.