Distraught lawyers given exam paper full of mistakes

One girl was given the wrong paper but didn’t find out until an hour in

Chaos erupted across campus on Wednesday as second year lawyers sat down to an exam full of mistakes.

Law profs had failed to proof-read the papers for Civil Tort, despite the constant reminders they give about the importance of checking one’s work.

Horrified second years began their paper at 2pm and discovered errors in their multiple choice questions, stunning clueless invigilators.

One girl was even given the wrong exam paper but didn’t realise until an hour into the exam.

Faculty bosses don’t allow exam papers to be taken out of the exam but according to the unlucky second years who sat it, two questions contained two identical answer options.

Another question asked candidates to decipher the false answer. Sadly Option D gave the choice “None of the above are true”, which according to the lawyers “just didn’t make any sense”.

Confusion spread through exam halls as more and more people began to realise there had been a monumental cock-up.

Furious second year Ryan, 20, said: “Invigilators didn’t really know what to do.

“The main one kept leaving the room to try and speak to the exam office and kept coming back and saying he’s still yet to hear back.

“In the end they were letting people leave the exam after the point at which we shouldn’t have been allowed to leave.”

Victoria, 19, who was a victim of the dodgy paper added: “There was a lot of disruption from them by firstly not being clear what the problem was just stating they would contact someone at the law school to get more information, this caused students to keep raising their hands and asking questions.

“They then disrupted us again to say they were waiting for a response and again didn’t give enough information.

“A member of staff from the law school came in 10 minutes before the end of the exam to tell us that we would not be prejudiced for the mistakes in the paper.

“Then a lot of students were raising concerns and asking questions about whether or not to answer the questions.

“The invigilator got fed up with people asking questions and said basically ‘don’t answer those four questions, it won’t make any difference’.”

Ryan said: “You’d think the exams would be proof-read before they are sat so mistakes like this don’t happen.”

Explaining how he felt after the debacle, he added: “Pretty pissed off, like the amount of money we pay to come here and they fuck up like this, it’s now put added stress on us as to how we’ve done in the module.”

If it wasn’t bad enough the uni couldn’t check the exams before they were handed out, 19-year-old Karlie had an even more traumatic experience when it turned out she was given the wrong paper.

She said: “I did the exam but after about an hour I asked the invigilator about a question as I believed there was a mix up with the names.

“When she checked on the spare question paper it turned out that I had the wrong exam paper.

“It was the same subject with May 2015 and my module code and title correct just completely different questions.

“She then disappeared with my exam paper and 10 minutes later came back with it saying the head of examinations was in a conference and couldn’t talk about it over the phone.

“I was told just to finish the exam and that I would receive a text in a few days about it. And it would hopefully get marked separately to everyone else’s.”

John Bates, Senior Lecturer who manages the Twitter account @MLawDisputes2, responded to the incensed lawyers online.

John Bates

Unfortunately John was away from his office when the crisis took place.

He later said: “Those processes will not penalise students in this assessment and we will take fair steps to put the matter right. It needs careful thought.”

The senior lecturer advised his followers: “That *may* involve crediting every student with a mark for any question on which we have made a mistake if that is the fairest outcome.”

He’s also assured those with concerns can visit him in his office, as long as they don’t bring any sharp objects.