The best of Newcastle

There’s more to the Toon than booze and bucking

There are more reasons to love Newcastle than the cheap drink and great clubs.

The Toon has also conjured up some pretty successful people and inventions that most people didn’t even know about. So here’s just a few of the many, many things we can be proud of.

Greggs

It’s an obvious one. We’ve all had a cheeky pasty, and Greggs is the place to go. There is literally one on every corner. We’ve also got the stottie bread, which is a revelation. Let’s all say a big thank you to Geordie hero Mr John Gregg.

Jimi Hendrix, Sting and Chas Chandler

Chas Chandler was born in Newcastle, as was Jimi Hendrix’s manager and the bassist for the Animals. He actually found Hendrix busking on Chillingham Road. Sting was also born here. I think this is definitely something to be proud of in the music department.

Mr Bean

Mr Bean is definitely a classic, but more broadly, Rowan Atkinson is a Geordie. If he didn’t exist a big portion of my childhood would be missing right now.

Newcastle Brown Ale

Another pretty obvious one, but it’s one of the biggest brands of ale in the country, and its damn good.

Bridges

If you hadn’t noticed already, Newcastle has a lot of bridges, seven to be exact, and we have been doing it since 1848. Even the Sydney Harbour Bridge was inspired by the Tyne Bridge.

Lucozade

Lucozade is a glorious glucose filled bottle of joy and was invented in 1927, right here in Newcastle, by chemist Thomas Beecham.

It was originally called “Glucozade”. He made it out of glucose syrup to provide a source of energy to people who were ill. These days it’s a life support for hungover students everywhere.

Ant and Dec

There’s no need to explain them. They’re just a blessing to entertainment.

Trains

If you have never travelled on a train you’ve probably seen one somewhere. You should probably leave your house if you haven’t. George Stephenson (a Geordie, yes) built the first inter-city railway line.

Films- ‘Billy Elliot’ and ‘Get Carter’

The original screenplay for Billy Elliot was written here as well as the 1971 film ‘Get Carter’ with Michael Caine, which was filmed in the Toon.

The Angel of the North

You have probably seen it, but it’s that big metal angel thing you drive past when you come into the city. It was designed by Antony Gormely and erected in 1998, is 20 metres tall and one of Britain’s most famous contemporary sculptures.

Vast majority of Apple products

If you’re reading this your Mac, iPhone or iPad then you can give a big thanks to Sir Jonathan Ive, senior vice president of Apple. Although he wasn’t born here, he learnt his design skills at Northumbria. Poly pride.

The Windscreen Wiper

Gladstone Adams came up with this cracking idea whilst he drove home from a Newcastle game in 1908, and the rest is history.

Sir Bobby Robson

He was a brilliant football manager, an all round pretty successful guy and most importantly a Newcastle boy. Other football stars such as Alan Shearer came from here as well.

And last but not least…

A canny good accent.