£70k raised for Newcastle agric who died after being hit by a taxi on night out in York

The taxi driver has since been charged with the student’s death

More than £70,000 has been raised for a charity set up by the parents of third year Newcastle agriculture student Rob Stephenson, who died after being hit by a taxi in York whilst on a night out in March last year.

The charity – the Rob Stephenson Trust – was set up after his death to raise funds to help young people participate in sport, and Rob’s parents have thanked everybody for donating – telling the Northern Echo: “We had no idea that it would end up like this, we have managed to raise enough money to fund a variety of sports events such as cycle challenges and cricket matches.”

He added: “We’ve also donated huge amounts of money to local sports clubs and agricultural companies”.

Projects have been funded both in the UK and abroad: in Sierra Leone, Mongolia, South Africa, India and Brazil to name a few, through donations given to the Rob Stephenson Trust.

A fellow agriculture student and mate of Rob – Tomos Davies – raised money for the charity by cycling the length of Britain from John O’ Groats to Lands End, covering 964 miles last year.

More details on the Rob Stephenson Fund can be found by clicking here.