Here’s what to do in Newcastle when it rains

It’s not all doom and gloom

Newcastle is a banging city to live in. Despite being practically in Scotland and dealing with the freezing climate, it’s a buzzing student city. When friends come to stay there are a whole manner of things to do and visit: Tynemouth, Angel of the North, Quayside, Jesmond Dene – you name it, we’ve got it. These are all, however, extremely weather dependent activities. What happens if its raining? Well, don’t be downcast. Head out and enjoy these dry weather activities…

Gravity Force

Bounce out your frustration with the weather with this bright and energetic activity. No room for wet weather or wet people, this is a place to be enjoyed. Despite it being in Sunderland, who doesn’t love a trampoline park? A surprisingly good work out and fantastic way to spend your day.

Escape Newcastle 

Why not try out this live escape game? One for the mind and for hanging out with friends. Right in the city centre, you need to bring your detective skills and patience. Finding clues and solving puzzles becomes your aim for the 60 minutes your have to find your way out of the room… Scary but seriously fun stuff.

BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art

This contemporary and wacky art gallery is found right on the River Tyne. From the spectacular viewpoint you can look out all over Newcastle, and the pretty Quayside down below, without ever feeling a raindrop on your head. This perfect wet weather and FREE activity sees you wandering through instillation’s  and sculptures to your heart’s content. If you’re feeling plush there is also the BALTIC’s rooftop restaurant.

The Sage Gateshead

Just along the river from the BALTIC why not visit The Sage while you’re there? The undulating glass building stands out on the River Tyne. It’s not all about aesthetics though, The Sage is a well known live music venue hosting the likes of The Cinematic Orchestra and Bonobo. The reverberating sound system will make you forget all about the storm outside and become instead immersed in Newcastle’s culture.

The Great British Cupcakery

Whilst you’re in the area why not visit this amazing cafe? Those milkshakes are famous in and around Newcastle and will definitely cheer up any rainy day. A far cry from sleet and wind, this cosy cafe is where you want to be. Spend your pennies saved at the BALTIC and have a pre-show sugar intake before heading to The Sage.

Mog On The Tyne or Catpawcino 

If cream and caramel aren’t your thing, why not head to one of Newcastle’s TWO cat cafes? Chilling with kittens will make you feel at home and comforted. Mog On The Tyne will deffo banish that fog.

Tyneside Cinema

Hide from the storm in this classy and cosy cinema. Watching a film has never been more vintage with it’s velvet comfy seats and big curtains. It’s a great date place, with a proper bar, and far more original than The Gate.

Osborne Road

Head out of town and toward Jesmond, it may not be Dene weather but it certainly is beer weather (when is it not?). The happy hours of Spy, Blanc and Osbornes will transform any sad rainy day. If you’re hungry head to Jam Jar or Francesca’s for your dose of comfort food. Need I say more?

Sunday Roast at 97 & Social

Complete your cosy Sunday rainy day with a roast from 97. Parsnips, mashed and roast potatoes, red cabbage, Yorkshire puddings for everyone… Simpy the best roast you will ever have (sorry Mum!) – it’s definitely worth your time. No roast costs above £10 and with actual good vegetarian options and gravy, it’s Jesmond’s most undiscovered secret. This will make drizzly Newcastle feel like home.

The Lonsdale Pub Quiz

After your filling Sunday roast, banish your rainy Sunday blues with a good old fashioned pub quiz. The Lonsdale, in West Jes, offers big cash prizes which students frequently win. The Sunday night quiz will make the end of your stormy weekend one to remember.