Newcastle named ‘most sleep deprived city’ in the UK

We’re also the most carefree

A UK-wide survey has found that people living in Newcastle are the most sleep deprived in the country, with only 41% of people saying they get enough sleep.

Newcastle was the worst by a considerable margin, with Liverpool (54%) and Southampton (55%) coming second and third worst respectively.

The online bed retailer Time4Sleep carried out the survey of 1,000 people, which also found that Newcastle is the most carefree city, with 51% of people saying they are never kept awake thinking about work-related issues.

Nearly 1 in 4 people in London said they were regularly kept awake with work-related worries.

The perpetual student dilemma

Sleep-deprived AND carefree. Full marks

If she lives in Newcastle, she probably chose the trebs

Manchester residents were the most rested according to the survey, with 62% of people claiming to get the recommended number of hours of sleep a night.

According to the National Sleep Foundation, the recommended amount of sleep for adults is seven to nine hours each night. However, this new research showed that only 55% of UK adults are managing this.

The study also showed that women are twice as likely to hit the snooze button in the morning (22%) compared to men (11%). Lack of sleep may be the cause of more women relying on their snooze button, as 22% said they struggle with a full night’s sleep and are “disturbed sleepers” in comparison to just 17% of men.

In September last year, Newcastle was named the 4th most sleep deprived city in a study based on UK Google search data, which used the search engine to analyse the number of queries for terms related to sleep deprivation such as ‘can’t sleep, help to sleep, beat insomnia’.