The council are outside the Robbo fining people who drop cigarettes

It’s a £75 penalty

| UPDATED Hide Images

Newcastle City Council have been patrolling outside the Robinson Library this afternoon and fining students who drop their cigarette butts around the library entrance.

Two council employees with clipboards and official council fleeces were seen standing around the library entrance, which is a public right of way.

James, third year, told The Tab: “I was just having a smoke outside and two of the lads next to us threw their cigarettes on the ground and then two council people came over and asked for their student cards. They then started writing out fines on a bit of paper!”

The council, which is responsible for litter in and around the city, claim on their website that “smokers are responsible for ensuring that they completely extinguish their cigarettes before placing them in the bin.” It goes on to say: “There is also no reason why smokers can’t carry portable pocket ashtrays with them.”

Newcastle City Council say that the maximum for leaving litter is £2,500 but in many cases offenders will be given the option of paying a fixed penalty of £75.

The Council have also been spotted outside the Robbo on 17th February at 3pm.

Last updated: 17th February 2017 15:15