Police shut down a New Year’s rave inside Tyne Bridge last night

It’s thought there were 200 people attending

Hide Images

Last night police attended and forced entry into an illegal rave held in the old lift shaft of the Tyne Bridge.

The New Year’s rave, which had music and sound equipment connected to the electricity supply inside the bridge, was shut down around 1:50AM by Northumbria Police. The building was then evacuated and secured to allow electricity supplies to be made safe.

Reports suggest that there were up to 200 people at the party which happened off Lombard Street on the Quayside. Pictures on twitter show police using a large angle grinder to access the bridge.

A spokesperson for the police force said: “Enquiries are on-going to identify the organisers. It’s believed three men in a white van were seen taking equipment into the tower during the evening on Friday and Saturday. Officers are keen to trace these man and would ask they, or anyone who knows who they may be, come forward.”

@AndyHuddleston3 / Twitter

Police say anyone with information should contact Northumbria Police on 101 quoting reference 245 010117 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.