‘Killer clowns’ are terrorising Newcastle

Northumbria Police arrested one with a ‘bladed article’ yesterday

Newcastle residents have been left terrified by pranksters dressing up as clowns.

The ‘killer clown’ craze, which started on college campuses in the US, has now apparently spread to UK soil.

According to reports, the clowns have been sighted jumping out of bushes and chasing pedestrians down the street.

The clowns seem to be targeting schoolchildren, with Northumbria Police having received six separate incident reports since Friday.

Clown sightings began to increase yesterday, prompting Northumbria Police to issue a statement last night.

It said: “Warning to those responsible for clown pranks in Newcastle.

“This is an update in relation to a series of clown pranks that have happened in the Newcastle area throughout the day.

“Tonight, officers have arrested a teenage boy in Blakelaw in possession of a bladed article in connection with one of such clown incidents.

“This arrest should act as a clear warning to others who are actively seeking to cause distress and potentially harm others.

“This behaviour will not be tolerated by Northumbria Police and extra officers will be on hand to offer reassurance and catch those responsible for any criminal offences which have taken place.”