Kate Ovens: My favourite Newcastle eats

They’re worth checking out

Competitive eater Kate Ovens knows her food, so she’s found us the best places to pig-out in Newcastle. 

The Great British Cupcakery

Recently featured by The Food Bible, this would definitely be the one to go to, to make all of your friends jealous. You can find this cute tea room down on the Quayside. The presentation is mouth-wateringly beautiful, and there are five delicious milkshake flavours to choose from. Be prepared to get a little messy in all of this chocolatey caramelly goodness.

Arlo

Anyone from Jesmond will already be familiar with Arlo in some way. There is no surprise that it’s always busy! It’s beautifully presented, and just going in for a coffee and walking past those cakes will tempt you beyond belief – trust me. But it’s not just the drink – which  by the way my cappuccino came with a mini brownie on the side – the breakfast is definitely a winner in my books. I’d go here any day, in any mood for breakfast, lunch or brunch.

The Fat Hippo

Whether it’s a first date, a hangover meal, or just a general outing, you cannot go wrong with The Fat Hippo’s menu. It’s got a huge variety of delicious burgers (including a PB+J for those peanut butter fans.)For those feeling lazy, there’s one right on your doorstep in Jesmond, and there’s also one underground in town. Definitely one you need to tick off the list.

The Bluebell

It’s a little more hidden, but one you should definitely go and find. The Bluebell is a little pub by Jesmond Dene with some great traditional pub lunches and dinners. With steak and chips for the main and ending with a mouth watering Smartie-Crunchie cheesecake, this simple meal was  high quality and beautifully presented within a very friendly atmosphere. Also they allow dogs, so stroking puppies made it even better in my books.

Pizza By The Slice – Granger Market

My friends like me are huge pizza fans and this was the place they constantly raved about. The large New York pizza slices can be found in the fourth aisle in Grainger Market. Be aware of the time you go though, every time I’ve been past there has always been a giant queue. Clearly everyone has the same mind-set and at only £1.70-£1.90 per slice. I’m not even surprised.

Dabbawal

More commonly known as: “Oh that place with the fairy lights next to Jesmond Metro – I really want to go there soon!” Yeah, that’s the one. Indian food isn’t usually my first choice, however after going here just once I really want to head back. The food ranged from mild to extra spicy (perfect for my inner wimp) and my taste buds thanked me for this one.

The Garden Kitchen

Cleverly presented and incredible tasty – this little patch of heaven can be found in Eldon Garden, just a short walk from Haymarket metro. The quality of the food is exquisite and it will glamorise the day you’re having, I’m sure of that. The little picnic table makes the food look huge too – don’t you think?

The Botanist Newcastle

Possibly one to save your pennies for, but this luxurious bar is right in the centre of Newcastle so you can’t ask for anything more convenient. The fairy lights, the outdoors-indoors theme, and there’s a massive tree in the middle of that bar. If you’re really trying to impress the first date, this may be a winner.

Zapatista Burrito Bar

There’s a reason why there’s a guy with a sign down Northumberland high-street pretty much every day – it’s incredible. With a step-by-step process making sure you get everything you want (a bit like Subway) and adding in all those important sauces. With a variety of tasty choices, it’s hard to say no to this one.

Hop and Cleaver

If you’re not won over by a pulled pork crate with macaroni cheese, sweet potato fries and corn on the cob – I don’t know what else to say. It may be carb city but it’s worth it. Another one that was recommended to me by loads of friends, so I had to come down and check it out. I’m so glad I did because it was unreal, and was even filling for me.