Newcastle and Northumbria grads who are now massive celebs

Life goals

It’s nearly graduation season so take a look at these Newcastle and Northumbria graduates who are now huge (inter)national celebrities. 

Oliver Proudlock, Newcastle Uni

Fine Art (2010), Made in Chelsea Star

Known for his topknot and edgy clothing the Made in Chelsea star went to Newcastle University between 2006 and 2010. After graduating he started his own fashion label in 2011 called ‘Serge DeNimes’. Proudlock started appearing on MIC series 2 in late 2011.

Princess Eugenie, Newcastle Uni

Combined Honours: Art History, English Literature and Politics (2012)

Off to Digi Mondays

It’s rumoured that she was given the entire top floor in one of the Leazes tower blocks. She’s 8th in line to the throne so it’s pretty impressive that she also managed to earn herself a solid 2:1 in English literature and history of art.

Sting, Northumbria Uni

Teaching (1974)Musician, formally lead singer in the ‘Police’

Sting (Gordon Summer) CBE attended Northumbria Uni (was known as Northern Counties College of Education) from 1971 to 1974. He was lead singer of the band Police before setting out as a solo artist. He’s had a decorated career winning 16 Grammy Awards, 3 Brit Awards, a Golden Globe, an Emmy Award and 3 Academy Award nominations.

Martin Luther King, Newcastle Uni

Honorary Doctor of Civil Law (1967), Civil Rights Activist

Martin Luther King was given an honorary degree by Newcastle University in 1967 – the only UK university to do so during his lifetime. After travelling to the UK he gave a speech to Newcastle University saying the doctorate gave him “renewed courage and vigour” to continue to “make peace and justice a reality for all men and women all over the world”.

Victoria Pendleton, Northumbria Uni

Sport and Exercise Science (2002) and Honorary Doctorate of Civil Law (2008), Olympic Cyclist and Strictly star

World record breaker Victoria Pendleton is Great Britain’s most successful female Olympian. She’s won two gold and one silver medal at the 2008 Beijing and 2012 London Olympic games.

Peter Gibbs, Newcastle Uni

Physics and Geography (1979), BBC Weather Presenter

Slightly less well known celebrity. You may have seen him on your telly presenting the weather on the BBC. Born nearby in Sunderland, Peter went on to study at Newcastle before joining the beeb.

Steve Cram, Northumbria Uni

Sports Studies (1983), Athlete and athletics commentator

Steve Cram MBE is one of the world’s most successful middle distance athletes of all time. He’s the BBC’s Chief Athletics Commentator (you’d recognise his voice) and also current Chancellor of the University of Sunderland. The broadcaster and runner gained an Olympic silver medal at 1984 Los Angeles Olympics in the 1500m.

Rowan Atkinson, Newcastle Uni

Electrical Engineering (1975), Comedian

Funny man Rowan Atkinson gained the highest marks in the year at Newcastle despite playing a less than clever character on our screens. After graduating at Newcastle he went on to study at Oxford where he gained an MSc in the same subject.