A student’s guide to eBay

It’s no secret; students love a bargain, students love fashion and students LOVE eBay.

Being an avid eBay user myself, I know it’s essential to be aware of the key ways of finding what you need quickly, efficiently and of course for a fraction of the original price. Although you can buy items from the high street, new season stock from a well-known brand like Topshop can often be expensive, therefore I’m letting you all in on my top ten nifty tops to bagging an eBay bargain.

1. ALWAYS bid at the last minute. This will save you pushing up the price of the item unnecessarily. Wait until the last 10 seconds, type in a max budget, always ending with 1 penny extra to beat any other competition! You can even set an alarm on your phone to make sure you don’t forget.
  1.  Focus on items ending in the day time. These tend to go for less than those ending at the weekend – non-students often have better things to do with their lives, like work.
  1. Use the search function to refine your results. Not only can this save you time, but narrow the listings down to what you’re really looking for. For example; in the search bar, type in ‘dress’ > Click Women’s Clothing > Select Size > Set price a limit > Click ending soonest.
  1. Shop ahead of season. If you’re like me and start bikini shopping in winter; bid now! Less people will be looking and bidding for out of season stock, and therefore allow you to purchase goodies at the best price.
  1. Check out the seller’s other items. If you find an item you love, make sure to check out what else is on offer, especially if they’re having a ‘wardrobe clear out’. If an item you love is unbranded, always browse the seller’s items to bag multiple pieces of original clothing. Best case scenario? Buy more than one item and receive combined postage – smiles all round.
  1.  Save your favourite sellers. I often find myself buying/browsing items from the same seller, especially if it’s an eBay shop. By saving a seller, this alerts you of their new listings and items you have previously been outbid on.
  1. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. If you’re desperate for the item and there’s plenty of time left, feel free to offer a ‘Buy it Now’ price – it’s always worth an ask!
  1. Be creative. Try to search for items using alternative words or phrases. For example, if you’re looking for a ‘shirt’, synonyms such as ‘blouse, pull-over, tunic’ may reveal a hidden gem, totally worth the time if you have it!
  1. Have a budget in mind. Set yourself your absolute top price and stick to it – the last thing you want to do is get caught up in the excitement of bidding and end up spending half your loan on an average t-shirt.

Other useful websites:

• www.nobids.net allows you to browse eBay items which currently have no bids, hurrah!
  • www.fatfingers.co.uk allows you to browse for items that contain typos or spelling mistakes, often resulting in a lower selling price!

So there you have it – inside knowledge from an eBay junkie!

And if that’s not enough, here’s a sneak peek of my top recent eBay bargains…

Vintage brown suede jacket, bought for £8

Topshop kimono, bought for £8 – RRP £38
Levis black denim shorts, bought for £9 – RRP £25

Topshop kimono – old stock – bought for £8 – RRP £38

Levis denim jacket, bought for £15 – RRP £30

Levis denim jacket – bought for £15 – RRP £30

Vintage aztec jumper, bought for £5.50

Vintage aztec jumper – bought for £5.50

Vintage mint silk skirt, bought for £5
H&M trilby, bought for £4.50 – RRP £15

H&M fur jacket, bought for £20 – RRP £34.99

Zara kimono, bought for £20 – RRP £50

ZARA KIMONO Zara kimono – old stock – bought for £20 – RRP £50

Vintage aztec scarf shawl, bought for £7.50

Vintage red sweatshirt, bought for £12