Spotted: how to brave the chill whilst looking hot

The best warm winter outfits on campus

With the first flurries of snow making an appearance in 2014, those hazy summer memories of watching a Croatian sunset whilst sipping a Fanta lemon are feeling like a former life. It’s safe to say we can leave the flip flops, sunglasses and bikinis packed away for now and layer up on the chunky knits and woolly scarves.

Coats

Investing in a trusty coat is vital in surviving the bitter temperatures of the Toon. The fur lined puffa jacket seems popular amongst students combining practicality and style. Or add a zing of candyfloss pink, a hot trend for spring like Charlotte Clay.

Jay Weavers, Art, Fresher

Roselle Davey, Maths, 3rd year

Jess Short, English Language, 3rd year

Scarves

A great accessory to add a pop of colour whilst protecting from the Arctic winds which have been sweeping through campus, a cosy scarf is vital. With tartan being a hot favourite this winter, the cherry red Zara scarf is a firm favourite as seen on Elise Mackey, and is big enough to double as a blanket – perfect for the savvy student. Or opt for a snood like Amy Walker and make it a statement piece.

Charlotte Clay, Sociology, 3rd year

Elise Mackey, English Literature and Language, 3rd year

Amy Walker, Maths and Physics, Fresher

Hats

Disguising a multitude of bed head sins, the humble hat is every one’s best friend regardless of the weather. With endless types including the baseball cap as seen on Tom Sempers and beanie, this final touch can complete a whole look. Alternatively girls opting for a knitted headband can strike the winning balance of rolling out of bed late whilst fending off frostbitten ears. Sophie May’s Russian faux fur style is a winning look.

Tom Sempers, Economics, Fresher

Rob Heffernan, Spanish and Business, 2nd year

Sopie May, International Business Management, Fresher

Combine a few of these fashionista’s top tricks and you’ll stay toasty regardless of the plummeting temperatures of the toon.