House music is more than just a youtube channel

A response to THAT house music article.

To judge a book by its cover: a clichéd opening to an article if there ever was one. Yet the saying could not be more applicable following a recent article slating house music.

The book cover in question? Majestic casual. Those who remained calm enough to venture past the first few lines of the article were urged to judge genre of house music purely on the increasingly popular Youtube channel.

Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to evaluate house music, or any genre of music for that matter by the content of a sole youtube channel is an insult to not only the artists, but to the craft of music making itself.

In it’s current resurgence, house music has greatly broadened stylistically, as much of music does, broadening its appeal to the masses.

The contrasts are clear: the darker beats of Maya Jane Cole’s “Burning Bright” (Joyce Muniz remix) contrast greatly to the old-school disco beats of Framwerk’s “As if”. Route 94’s take on Chaka Khan’s “Ain’t Nobody” draws on a classic influence whilst French Fries’ Drums/Traxx is an original floorfiller.

And as far as researching goes, as long as you’re not the dick who’s being a snob about it, there is definitely joy to be found in finding an absolute banger, on your own, late at night, at which point, believe me, the dance moves are not restricted to a “two-step” by any feat of the imagination.