Jesmond students in drug overdose

Group of male students hospitalised after ODing on 2CB

A group of six – including three students – from Jesmond were hospitalised after overdosing on hallucinogenic drug 2CB.

The all-male group, who live on Ripon Gardens, were taken to hospital at 3.30am this morning.

One student remains critically ill after taking the illegal drug, which police think they bought online.

Ripon Gardens this afternoon

Chief Superintendent Gary Calvert, Newcastle Area Command, released a comment on the events:

“We are carrying out extensive enquiries and are working with our partner agencies to find out what has happened and warn others of the dangers.

Emergency services attended to the men here

“Taking any illegal drug is dangerous and potentially life threatening. 2CB is an illegal hallucinogenic drug. If anyone has any of these in their possession we urge them not to take them and hand them in to the police.”

The other five men have escaped with a bad memory of the night, whereas one is unfortunately still in a critical condition.

The psychedelic substance is relatively new to the UK after becoming popular in European countries which means that much is unknown about its effects.

The Tab advises all to steer clear of this, and all class A drugs as it has proven here to be highly dangerous to the user. In fact, don’t use drugs at all.

More to follow.

@logiejoz
  • Pingback: There's a galaxy of drugs being sold online, and there's no way to stop it – Telegraph Blogs()

• Anonymous

Herp Der lets make dergs legul heh heh. Yep, evryone knows alcohol and cigarettes are more dangerous than the vast majority of illegal drugs, and yes, everybody (or at least anybody with the least bit of analytical capacity) knows that the majority of drug should probably be legalised, taxed, and controlled. Clearly this was an isolated incident, and the drug almost certainly wasn’t 2CB, but getting all butthurt about why you shood b able to hav lots of leegul dergs nd its like so stoopid isn’t really constructive. Its lower 6th politics, its not the place to discuss it sensibly, and its disrespectful to the poor blokes who were hospitalised. I think you are getting confused: Nobody cares that you take drugs, everyone knows that everyone takes drugs.

Get the best of The Tab on our app.

There’s been a marking boycott at Newcastle uni

It could prevent third years from graduating

, Newcastle Editor of The Tab

Watch: Nigel Farage tells Newcastle students to ‘wake up and smell the coffee’ over EU vote

He was getting boozy in Osbornes

, Newcastle Editor of The Tab

Piccy Road: Ricky’s best pictures

It’s like Clubbers of the Week, but in a shitty halls

, Assistant Editor

That ‘cube personality test’ everyone is sharing is actually a pickup artist scam

It won’t tell you anything about yourself

, Editor, The Tab Brookes

Rhodes Must Fall founder has received ‘a flow of death threats’

The university had to step in to discuss his health and safety

Your old Beauty and the Beast VHS could be worth £800

Bet you gave it to a charity shop years ago

Brummie is the ugliest accent in the UK

Over 8,000 of you voted in our poll

, Cardiff Editor at The Tab

I asked my friends why they think I’m single

Some were brutal

The NUS black students’ conference have voted to ban prisons

The motion was called ‘Prisons are Obsolete! Abolish Them Now!’