A woman was sexually assaulted after getting off the bus in Fallowfield this weekend

It happened on Mauldeth Road

A 19-year-old woman was sexually assaulted this weekend in Fallowfield.

The assault happened on her way home from the city centre in the early hours of Sunday morning.

The incident happened at around 5:15 am on Mauldeth Road.

After getting off the bus in Fallowfield, she noticed a man standing by the side of the road. This man then followed her as she crossed the street and attempted to talk to her before sexually assaulting her. The victim managed to escape to safety where she called the police.

Greater Manchester Police say the offender was approximately 5ft 7in with a light brown skin tone, dark hair and a clean-shaven face. He is described as looking around thirty years old and spoke with an Eastern European accent, wearing dark jeans and a black top with an orange and brown print on it.

Detective Constable Chris Henderson described the assault as having had “a substantial impact on the victim who was understandably left extremely scared and upset by what happened”.

This incident comes just days after a female student reported an attempted sexual assault in a taxi on her way home from Fallowfield to Withington.

GMP are appealing for witnesses to the incident and request that anyone with any information should contact the police on 0161 856 6198 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.