Mass protest on Oxford Road against the medical testing of monkeys

They boycotted medical researchers like Cancer Research

An mass animal rights protest took place yesterday near UoM, in which hundreds of people marched down Oxford Road towards the Stopford building.

The protest, which mainly did not consist of students, was against the testing of monkeys for medical purposes, and big medical researchers like Cancer Research were targeted. Protesters marched down Oxford Road holding placards and banners and halted at the entrance to the Stopford building.

The protestors had a puppet of a monkey in a cage which many people found disturbing and upsetting. The puppet aimed to demonstrate the extent to which these animals are put through cruelty.

When the protesters reached the Stopford building they demanded to be let inside in order to document what was happening inside. They allegedly believe that the university tests monkeys for medical research purposes and wanted to prove if this was the case.

The protesters were refused entry to the building and it remained locked, whilst a high police presence kept the crowds under control.

The University of Manchester were unavailable to comment on the matter.